Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MajorDad61 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 199  
Subject: Home Flour Grinding Date: 8/1/2010 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone have experience with grinding your own flour? Wondering if you felt the benefits of flavor and nutrients outweighed the cost.

Thanks,

-MD
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 179 of 199
Subject: Re: Home Flour Grinding Date: 8/1/2010 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
RE: MD: "grinding your own flour"

Today, with specialty flours from local and national brands readily available, I don't think there would be much advantage unless you require flour from unusual sources* or with distinct characteristics.

That having been said, I would love to try it!

What sort of equipment are you considering?

SB (*recently experimented with cattail flour!)

Author: MajorDad61 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 180 of 199
Subject: Re: Home Flour Grinding Date: 8/1/2010 12:31 PM
SRHCB,

I recently returned from vacation with my brother who grinds his own flour (he didn't do this on the vacation, it just came up in conversation).

He claims that flour loses most of its nutritional value (and possibly its flavor) within 72 hours of being grinded (milled?). He says he can definitely taste the difference.

After a Google search I found there are many countertop machines out there. And Whole Foods apparently sells whole wheat for grinding at home.

I'm just trying to research whether this would be a good fit for my family.

Thanks,

-MD

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 181 of 199
Subject: Re: Home Flour Grinding Date: 8/1/2010 10:55 PM
RE: MD: "whether this would be a good fit for my family"

Assuming you, or someone in your family, is an enthusiastic and fairly adept bread bsker, I'd say "go for it!"

Author: 34Phantom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182 of 199
Subject: Re: Home Flour Grinding Date: 8/5/2010 4:53 PM
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/index.aspx#Nutrimill

May want to try this one. I have an old grinder that I use and thorougly enjoy the bread. It's also nice because I can adjust the grinder to just make cracked wheat for cereals.

Phred

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement