Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pjof Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124141  
Subject: Home Sale Cap. Gains Exclusion Date: 8/13/2000 6:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My father currently rents a house from me that I own and moved out of in January of 1998 after having lived there since 1985. I still run my business from the basement (about 50% of the house). We want to maintain this situation indefinitely, but would love to also benefit from the capital gain tax exclusion whenever I decide to sell the house. Since we are approaching the end of the 2 yr./5 yr. exclusion provision (Jan. of 2001), is there some way we can legally keep the exclusion in effect without having to get rid of the house, thereby evicting my father and my business? Or can I sell the house (or just the "residential half") to my father or some other friendly party who would allow us to maintain the status quo? What would be the legal and tax implications?"
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Oil and Gas
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.