Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cdrhody Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121477  
Subject: Home sale in Trust Date: 2/4/2008 8:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My handicapped sister, 55, has been living at the family home alone for six years now. Title for the home is in the Trust our parents set up before they passed away. I am the trustee. My sister must move to an assisted living facility and we plan to sell the house. Can we qualify for the over-55 tax treatment?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 98311 of 121477
Subject: Re: Home sale in Trust Date: 2/4/2008 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Your sister's trust owned house does not qualify for over 55 exemption, that part of the IRCode was replaced over 12 years ago. Under the new law if an individual has lived in and owned a house for 2 of last 5 years, they may exclude up to $250,000 individual/$500,000 couple MFJ. Unfortunately, an irrevocable trust would not qualify, so the bulk of the gain would be taxed at 15%. Be happy it's 2008, very small part taxed at 0%. After 2010, if democrats win, top cap gains rate back to 20% or more.

Author: cdrhody Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 98314 of 121477
Subject: Re: Home sale in Trust Date: 2/4/2008 10:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks. Had a deep, abiding suspicion that I was on the wrong side of the tax law. I will be able to deduct some recent capital improvements, I guess, and then suck up the rest at 15%. Go Republicans!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement