Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Hello, we are thinking of selling our home, currently we have resided in it for apx 1 year. My boyfriend is changing jobs however that would not necessarily dictate moving, we just think another house would be a better investment. Since we have been in the house less than 2 years, is there any way to bypass the capital gains tax or reduce it?? I have read that you can be given partial credit for living in the house at least one year? How does the "like exchange" of investments work. Thanks in advance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.