UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Soupboy One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9824  
Subject: Homer = 6.094 Carls Date: 3/22/2004 2:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
We all know the annual Marge Madness Tournament is a scientifically proven way to rank Simpsons characters from best (or funniest) to worst (or least funniest).

But wouldn't you like to know exactly how much funnier each character is than any other character on the show?

As part of my graduate studies in Measurement & Statistics, I had to complete a project on magnitude scaling. A magnitude scale allows us to determine the relative magnitudes of a range of stimuli (in this case, exactly how much funnier is Homer than, say, Carl?).

183 undergraduate students (and self-proclaimed Simpsons fans) from a private university in Iowa were surveyed. They were told that Bart Simpson, on some undefined scale of funny-ness, had a score of 50. They were then presented 20 other Simpsons characters and asked to rate those characters relative to Bart. For example, the first character presented was Homer. If a student believed Homer was 8 times as funny as Bart, the student rated Homer a 400 (50*8 = 400). If the student believed Homer was only two-thirds as funny as Bart, the student would rate Homer a 33.3 (.67*50=33.3). The students were allowed to use any positive number, including any decimals or fractions.

The results of the survey can be found at http://homepage.mac.com/bradthiessen

A few observations from the survey (if you download the results, simply divide any character's score by another character's score):

1. Homer is 2.8 times as funny as Bart, 20.26 times as funny as Maggie, and 6.094 times as funny as Carl.

2. Bart is 1.7 times as funny as Milhouse

3. Selma is 1.07 times as funny as Patty.

4. Mr. Burns is three times as funny as Mr. Smithers.

5. If today's brackets can be predicted by the survey, Flanders will receive 1.02 times as many votes as Krusty. Chief Wiggum will receive 1.3 times as many votes as Abe Simpson.

If anyone wasn't bored to death with this post & would like to learn more about magnitude scaling, send me an e-mail. I'll send you a pdf file of my project (which is <10 pages long, including appendices).

Soup
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement