Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (281) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hortonron Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195928  
Subject: Homosexuality and Biblical Principles Date: 11/26/2000 12:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Folks,

This is a forward of a partial post on the Political Asylum Board. You are much smarter than I am and thought you may want to provide your thoughts to Fishfinder (poster).

The discussion was why I don't think soceity embraces the homosexual lifestyle and Gay Rights movement. My point was that our country was founded on Biblical Principles and Homosexuality is forbidden by God and declared unnatural by Him.

Here is the link to the original thread if you want to start from the beginning. The subj was Liberal Agendas and the Military:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13758435

Here is the entire post which I am referencing:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13777109

Here is the Biblical section which I thought might interest you.

Fishfinder says:

Anyway- I wanted to address a couple positions stated in your posts. One statement you make is that homosexuality is strictly forbidden by God as depicted in the Bible, and it is equated with adultery, murder, drunkeness and sexual misconduct. My late mother, one of the most intensely spiritual people I ever knew, and a devout Episcopalian, always told my brothers and me to remember one thing about the Bible; it was not let down from Heaven on a string. It was authored by men: men who were no doubt Divinely inspired a lot of the time, but also mere men who were subject to the prejudices, ignorance and social mores of their time. They wrote many wonderful things in the Bible; for instance, the primary responsibility of Christians, which I recall is to worship the Lord above all else, and to love our neighbors as ourselves (don't recall anything about it saying "excepting homosexuals", though.) Yes, there is a lot of wonderful advice in that work, but there also are some ideas which do not, and dare I say, should not carry over to today.

I have no real argument with your assertion about our country being founded on Biblical principles, but you also must realize that the principles contain the above-mentioned misconceptions and prejudices. Again, the societal mores of colonial times differed greatly from what we accept today, to wit, slavery was normal, women were viewed more as chattel than people, etc. (Jeez, I think maybe a few people were burned at the stake for witchcraft, too!)

We all should accept that civilization progresses and that prejudices die out in an evolutionary fashion. Unfortunately for gays, some fears and prejudices are more obdurate than others. I think two of the overriding principles this country was founded on were, in fact, tolerance and freedom, both of which we should be applying towards all people, irrespective of race, religion, ethnicity and, yes, sexual orientation!

A few weeks ago, I posted a "New School Prayer" which decried the advent of "political correctness" and lack of spiritualism in the public education system:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13260483

I was somewhat taken aback by the number of responses assailing this as an attack on "freedom of choice" and separation of church and state. Now, after reading some of the traffic on this issue, I think I have a better understanding what causes those jitters. The use of the Bible as a justification for labelling others as "less than", and promoting intolerance goes against the teachings of Jesus and other religions as well!

Enjoy.

Ron

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (281) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement