Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Gothamgal One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71394  
Subject: Honda Maintenance Date: 7/3/2009 11:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi -

I have a Honda Civic 2003 which I bought new 6 years ago. This was my first car as I had just moved out of NYC where I never had a car (or even had a license).

I have followed the severe maintenance schedule (live in Florida) per the Honda manual, which gives their recommendations as either time or mileage, whichever comes first--usually time in my case.

My car now has only 28,000 miles on it, and I took it in a week ago to a Honda dealer for the "annual" or "10,000 mile" service--oil, filter, rotate tires, lubrication, yada yada, plus "checking" lots of things (A year ago I actually had the 30,000 mile service). I take this car in every six months for oil/filter change and fluid checks, plus yearly for other scheduled maintenance. I have to say I was never given any type of hard sell for other maintenance suggestions--until a week ago. After I had waited there about an hour, my service manager approached me and said the mechanic had some "suggestions" for additional maintenance, as follows:

1. A/C evaporator service (?)

2. Coolant Flush (Service manager acknowledges Manual says 120,000 miles or 10 years, but say Honda has changed the type of coolant uses--from blue to green, or vice versa--and that I should have the "new" type).

3. Fuel Induction Service - Service manager said this was not mentioned in the Manual because it was not an issue at the time I bought my Honda. Says something about ethanol now being added to fuel which contributes to "carbon build-up";

4. 4-wheel alignment - I have personally not noted a problem with this but Service Manager says this is especially a problem with cars that are "not driven much, and make frequent U-turns."

OK, I will do whatever I reasonably need to do re maintenance, but do not want to pay for "fluff." I would so appreciate any opinions out there on any of the "additional service" suggestions made. If I should have it done, I will. Incidentally, it may be just coincidence but this particular dealership underwent a change of ownership a few months ago; plus, I noted that their usually busy service area was considerably less busy than usual when I went in.

Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement