Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
No. of Recommendations: 0
Honeywell says would remove 787 beacons if asked as fire probed

I have a high sensitivity carbon monoxide detector (alarms at 7PPM) in my bedroom. I am told that some pilots of small aircraft use them for flight safety. It comes with an UltraLife lithium-manganese 9-volt battery. Mine never caused a fire. On the contrary, they go dead in about 3 months. The regular 9-volt batteries last about a year in that unit.

I have bought replacements at my local Radio Shack, at big box stores, and on line. They last about 3 months. My guess is that their higher price results in slower turnover. But they should last 5 to 9 years on the shelf. They sure do not.

I conclude that they are a great idea, but badly manufactured. Perhaps some of them short out internally and start fires. I am now back to ordinary batteries.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement