UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37115  
Subject: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 10/3/2012 12:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I encountered a serious hoarding/squalor situation a few days ago, and I've been working on how to report it, because it needs to be reported. There are some serious health and safety issues involved, and I don't envision this person's situation improving.

In summary, filth everywhere, including cat vomit, rabbit and cat feces and urine, very strong odors of both and of rotting food. Only one seat in the living room, bed piled high with clothing, several rooms unable to be used for their intended functions, broken stove, one bathroom functional, but not very functional.... Stuff everywhere.

I hate to have to call social services or whatever organization that can help with this, but I would hate to see my worst enemy living in this, and I would hate it more if something happened to this friend, who already has health problems....

If anyone has any guidance or suggestions about this kind of thing, please let me know. (Sigh.) I won't be able to call until probably Friday since I have to find the right organization and have my kids in school so they can't interrupt me and/or hear the conversation.

Cassandra
Print the post Back To Top
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35942 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 10/3/2012 9:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
If nothing else, call the county health department and ask them who to call. They might be it, or be able to transfer you to the right person.

I won't be able to call until probably Friday since I have to find the right organization and have my kids in school so they can't interrupt me and/or hear the conversation

Is there a mall nearby with an indoor play area, or a small-ish park where you can see all entrances? Take them there, sit on a bench, and call. There should be enough hubbub they can't overhear you, you can still see them, and the first call will likely be brief anyway.

impolite

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35943 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 10/3/2012 11:00 AM
Try social services -- I think in most states you dial 211.

Good luck.

Andrea

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35944 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 10/3/2012 6:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
It is going to take more than one call.

1.) To report the animal abuse:
http://spcala.com/aps/crueltytipline.php

The situation you describe is animal abuse.

2.) If there are children in the house, call your local police to report the child endangerment.

3.) Report them to local code enforcement

4.) Contact adult protective services

If there are only adults in the house, it is limited to what can be done.

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35945 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 10/4/2012 3:16 AM
Recommendations: 2
Thanks, everyone.

Fortunately, there are no children involved, and this individual is single.

Unfortunately, this situation is not in Los Angeles, where I can easily find resources to help deal with it, but is in another state, and in an area that does not have a hoarding task force.

I've made some progress on who to contact there, starting with Social Services to make some inquiries. The fire department, animal control, and the health department are also on my list.

So that's my plan for Friday morning. That and getting to the grocery store, which I haven't done in a few weeks.

Cassandra

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36003 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 11/30/2012 12:16 AM
Recommendations: 3
Okay, so it took me several weeks to make the calls I needed to make, but I did call Adult Protective Services today, after calling around a little bit to figure out who to talk with....

I feel like I did the right thing, but I'm not thrilled about having done so, either. :(

Cassandra

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36004 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 11/30/2012 1:14 AM
Recommendations: 6
You DID do the right thing. It may feel like snitching on a friend, but it isn't. It's getting help for her. She has gotten to the point where she can't take care of herself, and you can't take care of her because you already have your own responsibilities.

No one likes having to sic the state on someone, but the conditions you described are horrible, and they will make her sicker than she already is. She needs help. You provided it.

Thank you on her behalf.

Nancy

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36005 of 37115
Subject: Re: Hooooooo boy...... Date: 12/5/2012 12:33 PM
Thanks, Nancy!

I'm still not excited about having had to do what I did, but I'm at peace with it now.

Cassandra

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement