UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jille101 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Re: AT&T 1966 Stock Certificate Date: 9/15/2007 12:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hope someone is reading this board! Here is latest in my saga of tracking down value of 5 shares of AT&T stock from 1966.

There is no record of the company anywhere before 1985. This is key, because if the shares split anytime in that 19 year period, there would have been enough shares to qualify for spin off stocks. I have tried every avenue I can think of to get this info, with no success.

Next I called Compshare, the holding company that handles AT&T stock. If you ever feel the urge to beat your head against the wall, call these people. Compushare employees are consistently rude, unknowledgeable and unhelpful. This is the scenario on all of my many calls to Compushare: I am told they have no record of the account. I explain previous phone calls, pertinent data, registered letters sent etc. I am put on hold for a huge amount of time. (This scenerio will be heretofore—I think this is a word— referred to as Step A) The employee then trys to pass the buck by telling me to send nother letter or to resend copy of stock certificate. This has been going on for six months. Recap follows:

1)I called Compushare, experienced step A, and was told stock had been remanded to the state of Mass. (where we live).

2)I called Mass state, they have no record of money being remanded.

3) I called Compushare, and after a particularly lengthy step A, I am told the funds were remanded to Delaware because my husband was living in the UK (my husband has never lived in the UK) I told them this, they said Delaware was where the funds were, non the less.

4) Delaware has no record of funds being remanded. I was told I needed a line item report from Compuserve for the echeatment of funds.

5) I called Compuserve, repeated step A. Asked for the line item report, was told it had to be sent in writing. I send registered letter with this request along with another copy of stock certificate.

6) After a few months with no reply, I called Compushare, for another round of step A. I am told the funds were remanded to the State of New Jersey. I asked why they would be remanded to the state of New Jersey, they said they did not know but that is where they are.

7) I called the state of New Jersey, and was told there were no funds in my husband's name.

8) You guessed it, Step A, then I am told funds were remanded to the state of Mass. I said I already called State of Mass, and that there were no funds. I am told this is where they are I need to take the matter up with the State of Mass.

9) I called Mass. State was told there was no record of funds, they suggest I get a line item report.

10) Back to Step A. I was told I needed to send in a written request for a line item report. I explained I did this months ago, gave them number of registered letter. I was told I would receive a letter regarding this matter within two weeks.

10) After three weeks I called Compuserve again, and went through step A. I was told a manager would call me back that day. No one has called back. Aaaaargh!!!

This is where the saga stands so far. I also tried to find someone higher up the food chain on-line to write. This is a global company, but I could not find an address of any executive.

My last rant is this: I don't know why were the funds remanded at all. My husband received the spin-off from Lucent at the address on record after the funds were echeated to wherever they were echeated to, so obviously they knew how to find him.

Thanks or reading this long post. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
jille
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement