Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My brother-in-law is a 17 years old full time college student. He works part time and made well over 4000 dollars this year. After grants and scholarships, he has to pay over 1500 in tuition, but he is eligeble for subsidized Stafford loan, that will cover most of his expenses. Questions:

1. Can his parents claim him as a dependant for Hope tax credit purposes?
2. If they can, do they get the credit for cash tuition paid only, or the amount taken out as loan BY STUDENT also qualifies?
3. If the total tax liability for the year on parents' tax return is less than 1500 dollars, and total of education expenses paid is more than that, how much credit is available?
4. What qualifies as an ed expense for that purpose, anyway?

Thanks for your responses.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.