No. of Recommendations: 25
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/02/26/union-criticizes-...

The union whose nationwide strike sparked Hostess Brands Inc.'s decision to shut down is taking aim at what appears to be the only bidder for the company's major bread brands, saying the would-be buyer hasn't "committed to preserve a single job."

The very union which brought Hostess to its knees now demands to rinse and repeat. I hope they don't hire one union thug.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The union whose nationwide strike sparked Hostess Brands Inc.'s decision to shut down is taking aim at what appears to be the only bidder for the company's major bread brands, saying the would-be buyer hasn't "committed to preserve a single job."

The very union which brought Hostess to its knees now demands to rinse and repeat. I hope they don't hire one union thug.
--------------------------------------------------------
I would ship all the machines to a different part of the country that is business friendly and set up shop there.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Better yet, let the union buy the business and let the union run it. I'm sure they can return it to profitability while paying the old wages and benefits while using the same archaic work rules imposed on Hostess.

I'm sure Owebozo will find some government agency to finance the union buyout. Just to make sure they stay in business Ozero will require all schools buy only Hostess products. All O would have to do after that is forgive the loan.

Would be a fine example of capitalism at its best.

Well, maybe not.

J
Better yet, let the union buy the business and let the union run it.

That would be like a dog eating its own vomit or licking its own butt.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I would ship all the machines to a different part of the country that is business friendly and set up shop there.

It won't matter where you set up shop if people aren't buying Twinkies and Wonder Bread anymore.
No. of Recommendations: 3

It won't matter where you set up shop if people aren't buying Twinkies and Wonder Bread anymore.
They don't just make Wonder Bread & Twinkies:

Sweet Snacks

Twinkies
CupCakes
Ding Dongs
Ho Hos
Sno Balls
Donettes
Devil Dogs – Drake’s
Funny Bones – Drake’s
Ring Dings – Drake’s
CoffeeCakes – Drake’s
Blueberry Muffins – Drake’s
Yodels – Drake’s

Breads

Wonder
Nature’s Pride
Merita
Home Pride
Beefsteak
Butternut
Millbrook
Eddy’s
J.J. Nissen
Sweetheart
Cotton’s Holsum
Sunbeam
Bread du Jour
-----------------
If no one buys it anymore then why would there be interested buyers?

It won't matter where you set up shop if people aren't buying Twinkies and Wonder Bread anymore.-FeedMeNow
-------------------------------------------------------
bighairymike, you disappoint me my friend <g>.
Maybe he's plowing a field, or putting a potty (Plano rates), or tending his wrens, or snarfing a margarita. Give the man a break.

arrete
"It won't matter where you set up shop if people aren't buying Twinkies and Wonder Bread anymore." - feedmeNOWhuman

Set up shop in Tennessee. We'uns down here still eat twinkies and wonder bread. Heck, an RC Cola and a Moon Pie is a typical afternoon snack! South Carolina, Georgia, North Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, most of Louisiana, East Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and a good part of North Carolina still eat all that stuff. There is a large "Little Debbie" plant down near Chattanooga and they can't turn out Little Debbie snacks fast enough.

Ever had a Little Debbie Oatmeal cookie snack? Two soft Oatmeal cookies filled with a white cream filling? They are delicious, especially when they are fresh.

Art
Set up shop in Tennessee. We'uns down here still eat twinkies and wonder bread. Heck, an RC Cola and a Moon Pie is a typical afternoon snack! South Carolina, Georgia, North Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, most of Louisiana, East Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and a good part of North Carolina still eat all that stuff. There is a large "Little Debbie" plant down near Chattanooga and they can't turn out Little Debbie snacks fast enough.

Ever had a Little Debbie Oatmeal cookie snack? Two soft Oatmeal cookies filled with a white cream filling? They are delicious, especially when they are fresh.

Art
--------------------------------------------------
I love the Nutty Bars, then they had these Twix type bars with peanut butter in the middle, man those were good. Thank God i don't shop anymore. I haven't grocery shopped in over 15 years. If i did Hostess would still be in business, at least the part that made those individual blueberry pies.
"I love the Nutty Bars, then they had these Twix type bars with peanut butter in the middle, man those were good. Thank God i don't shop anymore. I haven't grocery shopped in over 15 years. If i did Hostess would still be in business, at least the part that made those individual blueberry pies." - 2828

Another really good snack thing are those little individual pecan pies that some companies make. I don't know if ya'll have them up North but they are ubiquitous down here in the South. Individual pecan pies. I can eat three or four of them easy.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 5
"Butternut" -- 2828
"I love the Nutty Bars" -- 2828
"those little individual pecan pies" -- Art
======================================

You guys are making me so hungry. About the Butternut--I never heard of a Butternut bread but my grandma used to buy Butternut coffee. She would buy a huge can, the biggest on the shelf, and then keep a small can in the cupboard--one that she would fill from the big can and refill when it was empty. The small one fit nicely in our cupboards and the big can didn't so she kept it out on the back porch in a storage cupboard. Myself, I would have kept the big can handy on the kitchen counter if it didn't fit in the cupboards but she liked her counters clear. My counters are so full of items that I can hardly find space for any activity. I don't do a lot of activity in the kitchen though so it works out fine. Everything out where I can see it. The kitchen table often has too many things on it too which is fine because I never eat there. I liked my desk at work that way too. Put it away and it is forgotten. The items do have to be neatly placed though--I don't like looking at them unless they are perfectly organized.

The last time my son was here he wanted his three children to always sit at the kitchen table for meals so I had to find enough chairs and tablecloths and every meal became a big production. That is the way my mom and grandparents did it too. We ate two big meals at the kitchen table every day and all together--dinner and supper. (You were on your own for breakfast). And on holidays and company days you added several leaves and got out the fancy dishes and silverware and had extra ladder chairs you gathered plus sometimes the piano bench. By the time I left home I had decided I was never going to organize my own household in that way for the rest of my life so my son grew up with us hardly ever eating at something called a kitchen table and all at the same time so now we have come full circle and with his family the kitchen table, and sitting down to meals together is a major factor in their lives.

But mostly I was thinking about blueberry pies and pecan pies because -- wow, we really did have good snacks back then, or were our taste buds just more lively. I'd like a piece of each kind of pie right now.. One thing. Even in a little town like Chadron we have a 24 hour a day WalMart and a gas station and convenience store that stay open round the clock. I suppose if I drove out to Big Bats there wouldn't be any Hostess goodies on the shelf. I could get some red licorice though--that is still available--and a Hershey with almonds and a bag of shelled peanuts (2 for $1.00). A little bit of chocolate and nuts are good for you and how much can licorice hurt. But not those good Hostess cupcakes with the white icing and the cream filling??? Are they gone from the shelf. Those were delicious. Salt, Sugar, Fat. Yum. I just read the book called exactly that and written by Michael Moss. It was O.K, pretty darn interesting actually. But I've lived a long and strong life with no health problems, and I'm not going to go crazy cutting out completely things that taste good. All things in moderation.
But mostly I was thinking about blueberry pies and pecan pies because -- wow, we really did have good snacks back then, or were our taste buds just more lively.

I love this commercial for AT&T. These kids know what's important. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cdqiH2OM34
"All things in moderation. "

Well, I'm not really a moderate person I suppose. Sometimes yes, other times no--like this afternoon. I was fooling around on RECF seeing how many posts I was behind and browsing around and found a post Baron Andrew had written after I asked him about the special Patel Indian quick-make-it-yourself-grocery package dish he found that was made in Illinois. The fortuitous rediscovery of this post meant of course that I was supposed to order some for my own household right away, had meant to do it before but had forgotten.

So from Amazon I ordered the following, which demonstrates how greedy I can be I suppose:

Patel's Aloo Mutter Potato & Green Pea Curry, 9.5 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 10)"
Grocery; $35.22
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

"Patel's Dal Makhani Lentils in Cream Sauce (Tomato Cream Sauce), 9.5 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 10)"
Grocery; $36.06
In Stock

"Kitchens Of India Ready To Eat Rajma Masala, Red Kidney Bean Currry, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)"
Grocery; $17.94
In Stock

They sound easy and good--36 meals that you can prepare in 2 minutes each.

And to top the order off I decided it was time to try the Duke's mayonnaise you all say is so delicious:

"Delivery estimate: Apr. 1, 2013 1 "Duke's Mayonaise 8 oz."
Misc.; $5.69
In Stock"

By now I was definitely in a shopping frame of mind so I went to an affiliate of Amazon, Netrition.com (they like to sell you low carb, gluten free stuff and have lots of customer forum posts telling you how good or terrible their products are, and how people are using them) and ordered a bunch of Walden salad dressings (eventually I want to try them all) plus some coconut butter, already roasted and salted pumpkin seeds and crispbread.

Qty Item ID Brand Product Name Size Price Total
1 838-0001 Artisana Raw Coconut Butter, Organic 16 oz. $11.99 $ 11.99
2 240-0002 Eden Foods Pumpkin Seeds, Dry Roasted 4 oz bag $2.79 $ 5.58
2 246-0001 GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread 3.5 oz $2.59 $ 5.18
1 394-0012 Walden Farms Salad Dressing, Asian 12 fl oz. $3.99 $ 3.99
1 394-0050 Walden Farms Salad Dressing, Coleslaw 12 fl oz. $3.99 $ 3.99
1 394-0051 Walden Farms Salad Dressing, Jersey Sweet Onion 12 fl oz. $3.99 $ 3.99
1 394-0014 Walden Farms Salad Dressing, Raspberry Vinaigrette 12 fl oz. $3.99 $ 3.99
1 394-0015 Walden Farms Salad Dressing, Russian 12 fl oz. $3.99 $ 3.99
1 394-0001 Walden Farms Salad Dressing, Thousand Island 12 fl oz. $3.99 $ 3.99

Low carb dressings for salads, sandwiches, baked fish and chicken, zapped frozen vegetables--everything else a person can think of. I'm starting with 6--there are 20 altogether. I do love a simple vinaigrette on things too, one I can whip together in 2 minutes, but you just can't be content always having the same thing if you are a person like me.

http://www4.netrition.com/waldenfarms_salad_dressing_page.ht...

That is just the Walden Farms brand. There are a lot of other things to try. I would not have to go to these extremes if I lived in a metropolitan area like San Francisco or Chicago or New York City. I am sure I could find other extremes to go to however.
No. of Recommendations: 0

I don't think I've had a Hostess snack since Little League Baseball, so about 40 years.

JLC
""Delivery estimate: Apr. 1, 2013 1 "Duke's Mayonaise 8 oz."
Misc.; $5.69
In Stock" - Catmeyoo

--------------------

<grin!> That's hilarious! $5.69 for an 8 ounce jar of Mayonnaise! I buy it by the gallon from Sam's club. I think I pay a little over $8.00 for a gallon of Mayonnaise. We keep it out in our spare refrigerator in the garage and I refill a quart jar I keep in the refrigerator in our kitchen. Same with ketchup, mustard, pickles, relish, and whole dill pickles.

I'd have a heart attack if I had to pay $5.69 for an 8 ounce jar of mayonnaise.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 0
We keep it out in our spare refrigerator in the garage and I refill a quart jar I keep in the refrigerator in our kitchen.

And the electricity used to keep this food cold makes your mayonnaise stash expensive!
No. of Recommendations: 3
We keep it out in our spare refrigerator in the garage and I refill a quart jar I keep in the refrigerator in our kitchen. -- artie

LOL, you're just like my grandmother with her Butternut Coffee. I suppose I might do something like that if I wanted more strength training It is quite enough though to lug those big boxes of litter into the house. I've got 3 20-lb. litter containers sitting out in the car right now--must get my handy cart on wheels and lug them up the porch steps and to their storage area.

This afternoon is teeth cleaning, at 4:15pm. I now make my appointments late in the day in case I get lucky and sleep in. Today I got up at what I thought was 9 o'clock when I looked at the clock, spent the first hour or so of the day feeding the cats, taking my thyroid pill (must be taken on an empty stomach with lots of liquid), drinking coffee and tons of water, reading my current book(The Soundtrack of My Life --Clive Davis) and then heard my talking clock tell me it was 1pm. What?! So I guess I slept until around noon. That is something of a triumph; no wonder I feel so good.

Spring is in the air and it will be spectacular. I plan to spend a lot of time out at the State Park sitting by the boat pond at picnic benches in the shade of the big tree branches, winds and breezes welcome, even the sun will seem friendly. Maybe I'll get to experience some of those late afternoon spring rains that suddenly form and are over in minutes. The 8-mile drive back and forth will be good for me and my car both--blow out all our cobwebs. Get some sunlight too. Then when summer comes I can hide out again in my oh-so-familiar rooms and be reclusive if I feel like it.
"Then when summer comes I can hide out again in my oh-so-familiar rooms and be reclusive if I feel like it." - catmeyoo

In the summer where we live the mosquitoes will pick you up and carry you off. They start attacking as soon as you step out of the car. No lie.

Art

Then there's all that Sweet Tea, too. All of a sudden The Baron Andrew is wondering what the diabetes rate is in the South compared to the rest of the country.
"Then there's all that Sweet Tea, too. All of a sudden The Baron Andrew is wondering what the diabetes rate is in the South compared to the rest of the country." - Andrew

-----------------------

We'uns don't care. It's whatever the Good Lord decides to test us with. We just take up our cross and bear it daily. Then when it's time to go home to see our Saviour we know we is just "Going Up Yonder" to be with our Lord!

Going Up Yonder - Walter Hawkins Singers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KcopeY2Og

Art
Advertisement