Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5687  
Subject: Hot Pocket Victory Date: 7/25/2014 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Last year Tofurky introduced their version of a vegan hot pocket. Now, those types of things are generally not health food, but they are delicious. Also, I like to keep a few things in my freezer just in case I end up rushed for lunch and didn't prepare or buy anything. No stores near me carry them. I have requested them from several stores, including small ones that tend to be responsive, but so far, no luck. So this weekend I took it upon myself to just make one.

I made a standard pizza dough recipe. Then I made this cheese sauce, http://blog.allisonsgourmet.com/2010/12/13/monday-yumday-veg... , which happens to be my favorite vegan mac and cheese. I chopped broccoli very small and ever so lightly steamed it. Then i chopped up some Upton's naturals seitan bacon. I mixed the broccoli and bacon with enough cheese sauce that it was nice and cheesy. I then rolled out 2 oz balls of dough, put about 1/3 cup filling in each, folded over like a calzone, and baked at 400 for 15 minutes.

I ate one right away and it was good, but the whole point was to see if I could freeze some to keep on hand. I let them cool completely, then wrapped tightly and froze. Today I took one out and microwaved it for 45 seconds, then put it in the toaster oven for 5 minutes. It was hot and perfect. The broccoli ended up a little over done upon reheating, so I will cook it even less next time, but these will make great emergency lunches.

DEG
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement