UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ErrolNiel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190054  
Subject: Hot Swap? Date: 12/5/2012 7:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there settings in the BIOS for enabling me to Hot Swap my SATA HDs? Also to make my SSD units more efficient?

I recall on one of my older MBs I could do a Hot Swap with no change of settings.

My current MB "BIOSTAR TA880GU3+ AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard"

Errol
Print the post Back To Top
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182799 of 190054
Subject: Re: Hot Swap? Date: 12/6/2012 9:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I think this is more an operating system issue than a motherboard/BIOS issue with SATA drives. The hardware risk is based on properly disconnecting the drive so nothing shorts out. The operational risk is to make sure buffers are cleared for any writes to the drive. The visual issue is clearing the drive from the screen when it is remove.

Be careful not to confuse the term "hot-swap" with RAID (though RAID arrays frequently use hot-swap drives).

Not sure about how to interpret SSD question, but I do know there are significant performance differences between different SSD models. I'm not sure how to "make them faster" in your system context (other than maybe making sure you are using the newest BIOS version for your MB).

Jeff

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182800 of 190054
Subject: Re: Hot Swap? Date: 12/6/2012 12:13 PM
Also to make my SSD units more efficient?""

Hi Errol,

I believe they perform as well as possible as they are. RAID does not help as far as I know, they do not have the physical seek time issues of a conventional HD.

DO NOT defrag them, it wears them out prematurely and gains you nothing. Make sure automatic defraging is turned off in your OS.

I have one in my laptop, the Intel 520 240GB drive. I just back it up occasionally.

Regards, Ken

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182801 of 190054
Subject: Re: Hot Swap? Date: 12/6/2012 4:53 PM
RAID does not help as far as I know,

RAID striping does help, as you split the write among multiple drives in parallel, increasing throughput per unit time. However, this isn't something you're just going to tweak in software. You would have to build the system with a properly configured RAID controller before installing the OS.

Author: ErrolNiel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182806 of 190054
Subject: Re: Hot Swap? Date: 12/6/2012 9:36 PM
Thank you all, appreciate the help.

Errol

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182807 of 190054
Subject: Re: Hot Swap? Date: 12/6/2012 10:33 PM
Is there settings in the BIOS for enabling me to Hot Swap my SATA HDs?

Depending on your choice of hardware, this should be a simple plug and play hardware upgrade. Docking stations and drive racks are both available options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153...

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=ho...

Also to make my SSD units more efficient?

My very limited experience with SSD drives is that when coupled with a secondary spinning drive (a hybrid installation) they will "learn" over time which files are used most often (such as the boot sector) and migrate those files to the SSD for improved performance.

Kurt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement