Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: oldred22 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Re: Activities of the Retired? Date: 10/7/1998 11:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
hotfoot wrote:
and maybe garden and tractor show

you are probably gonna get a laff out of this hotfoot but this board is so quiet gonna do it anyway.

I wrote in my answer to JABoa that I did volunteer work on a railroad, and I have done that for like the last 4-5 years.

Now my working life was white collar, computers, and and office.

The work on the railroad was laying ties and gravel and hitting spikes with 4 pound hammers.

We had to lay a lot of gravel and I learned very quick that shoveling gravel INTO a truck is not conducive to long life for a 50 some year old.

Anyway, and to the point if there even is one, out of self preservation I learned how to drive a small John Deere tractor (and if you saw it you would probably think it was a lawn mower) that had like a 600lbs front end loader attachment.

Now I learned to love driving that thing.
Something about a 10 speed (ok 2X5) gear box's and 4 wheel drive.
I mean in the lowest range the engine would redline at less than a walking speed.

Anyhow for a City fellow, that was (and still is) a blast.

Because of all the lack of rain for a long time and then this year rain way into the summer I have missed the oppertunity to get our lawn back in shape for this year (at least I think so), made some progress but not enough.

Now making plans on leasing one of them little jewels of a tractors with a rotor tiller for next spring and the front end loader to start building up a base for my garden railroad.

So there are some more things that can occupy time for us retired folks.

oldred22

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement