Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Our home was foreclosed on this year. We filed a BK because of my illness and resulting in a reduced work schedule for me.

Because of this major tax shelter loss, are there any other ways to shelter income so that we don't take a big hit? Eventually once we are far enough away from this devasting loss and hit on our credit, we will purchase another smaller home.

We both have 401K's and are maxed out as far as contributions go. We don't qualify for a tax deductible IRA because of the amount my husband makes. We both have had more money deducted this year for income taxes. Neither of us are tax deduction saavy nor do we have any idea what we can do additionally to shelter our income.

Any suggestions or have we done all we can do?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.