UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jimcole Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: House proceeds Date: 10/1/1999 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mother (90 yrs) recently sold her house and has moved into an apartment. Her problem is how she is going to invest the money she received from the house so that she can derive some additional income in order to pay additional expenses that she will have to pay each month. She has set up a systematic withdrawal plan putting most of the proceeds in a money market fund. We have read many articles about planning but none when a lump sum comes at her age. Suggestions please!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14171 of 76418
Subject: Re: House proceeds Date: 10/1/1999 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
A lot depends on your mothers comfort level with risk. Better than a money market would be a laddered maturity investment portfolio. (You will find these discussed along with links to current interest rates on the Bond and Fixed Incomes Board in the Investors Roundtable Folder). CD's may be a place to begin. Investment grade corporate bonds would pay somewhat better yield (7+% these days) without much risk.

The Foolish wisdom is to put part of the funds into an index mutual fund to provide some inflation protection. You may want to consider this depending on your mothers needs.

Best of luck to you.

Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14262 of 76418
Subject: Re: House proceeds Date: 10/6/1999 12:18 AM
Read O'Shaughnessey's book "How to Retire Rich". Look in the back where he discusses the "utilty/dividend screen".

This screen picks the highest yielding stocks that are rated highest for safety by Value Line.

Ray

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement