No. of Recommendations: 8
Here's a different twist on my dumbest investment:

When my wife and I were 23 years old, we were living in an apartment, saving my wife's entire income. Within 5 years we would have had enough to buy a $100,000 house for cash.

Six months later, having visited the nice homes of some new older, wealthier friends, we got the bug. We bought an $85,000 house with an $85,000 mortgage, which naturally required every bit of both of our incomes just to keep afloat.

Five years later, my wife decided she wanted a baby. After he was born, she quit work to stay at home with him, a decision I fully supported, but forced me to work two to three jobs just to pay the bills. Within a year, we surrendered. We sold the house we loved and are now living in a one-bedroom apartment with a ruined credit rating, a ton of consumer debt, and no savings. Things are slowly improving as my income goes up, but we are still far, far behind where we were a decade ago.

I dearly wish we would have stuck it out in the apartment, bought the house for cash at the same time we had the baby, and spent the rest of our lives debt-free. As it is, I wasted a decade or more of my financial life because I envied my friends. I guess God knew what he was talking about when he said, "Thou shalt not covet."

The moral of the story is, I believe, my own original: The quickest way to make yourself miserable is to have friends who make more money than you.

James A. Brown
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement