No. of Recommendations: 1
For those that don't know, I am getting work done in my basement, paid for courtesy of Homewoner's Insurance. I had sewage backup in my basement which apparently is a good thing in terms of who will pay for repairs. I have had a restoration company out to remove the carpets in the basement, spray for mold/mildew, and set up air movers and dehumidifiers. The basement finally dried, so the equipment was taken away. Cost of this was $250 (my portion) and about $1500 (thanks to insurance).

Next is the plumber who will come out next Tuesday/Wednesday to jackhammer up my concrete floor and replace a drain pipe, then relay the concrete. My portion is the cost of the pipe. Insurance will cover the digging out of, and relaying, concrete. $2,700 total estimated cost, my portion is expected to be about 10% of the total. Not something I want to pay, but in the grand scheme of things, I can accept it.

After the plumber comes the drywall guy (a different restoration company) who will outfit me with 1 1/2 walls for my downstairs bathroom, as well as new flooring in the bathroom. He'll also spray for mold/mildew spores. Cost will be completely covered by insurance.

Drywall guy will also do a side task for me, which is repair of a basement wall. It had been studded and finished, and water leaked in through the windowsill and bowed the wall. We tore down the wall once the carpets were removed, so drywall guy said he'd give me a reasonable estimate, as he'll be out doing the work in my bathroom anyway. Since this water damage will not be covered by insurance, this cost will be mine. I am wondering how reasonable it will be. *sigh* This wall will be retudded, drywalled, and painted off-white.

And my A/C broke. I just replaced that a week or so ago. The unit was about 30 years old, so not worth repairing at all. Cost was $2,650 and was all mine. My mother sent me a check for the A/C. Yes, this went on a CC convenience check (0% through September payment, thanks MBNA). I will pay off CC before the end of this month and I will pay mom off at 4% interest. Thanks Mom!

I cannot remember how much vacation time I've eaten away so far to get this stuff done to date. Next week will be at least 2 more days when the plumber is there. I guess I'll work on my resume since I'm going to be a captive audience as it is.

Luckily the Homeowner's Insurance guy is really nice, although I did have to call to ask if I could actually hire the plumber. They were dickering over details that I could not fathom. "How Deep a hole do you need to dig?" (plumber could not answer this - how do you know how deep just by eyeballing a flat concrete floor - duh?).

It's a real shame that I have other charges on a CC that I was planning to pay off in the next month or so. Such is life I suppose. At least my cars are fully paid off and functioning.

:)

Louise

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement