UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63329  
Subject: Houston airport? Date: 12/3/2009 8:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know all airports suck these days. But how good or bad is the airport in Houston? For an upcoming trip to Central America I have airline options that go through Miami (bad, in my previous experience); Charlotte, NC (probably not too bad); or Houston (I dunno).

Comments?

friar1610
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21977 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/3/2009 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I've been through both Houston and Miami airports. Don't see much difference between the two. Most of the travel problems I've had are more the fault of the airline than the airport.

Houston probably has more connections to Central American cities.

intercst

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21978 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/3/2009 10:30 PM
"But how good or bad is the airport in Houston? For an upcoming trip to Central America I have airline options that go through Miami (bad, in my previous experience); Charlotte, NC (probably not too bad); or Houston (I dunno)."

Miami...always a zoo...

Houston...well, if it isn't snowing, Houston is OK...big....just make sure your flights are BOTH out of the same airport. Houston has two......they are expecting snow tomorow.

If it snows, it will be 'historic' and unprecedented. Earlist snow in history (historic)...and if it snows this winter, it will be unprecedented to have two consecutive years when it snowed anything!....

Must be because Obama is in the White HOuse..everything is historic and unprecedented.

Hey, where is Al Gore? The Gorulus?

Dunno on Charlotte..it can snow there.....

t.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21981 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 12:29 AM
I've been through Miami en route to Costa Rica; no trouble. And there is good Cuban food in the airport.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21982 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 12:31 AM
I said

I've been through Miami en route to Costa Rica; no trouble. And there is good Cuban food in the airport.

Sorry, that was en route to Colombia. I went to Costa Rica via Dallas-Fort Woof. Also no problems.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21985 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 1:12 AM
Recommendations: 2
I'm constantly amazed that good liberals who devoutly believe in Global Warming nonetheless are often gallivanting around the world on jet transports, gratuitously adding huge amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

Why aren't you folks staying home and finding ways to enjoy life that don't involve producing the pollution that so many of you folks seem to abhor?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21987 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 1:16 AM
Recommendations: 1
I know all airports suck these days. But how good or bad is the airport in Houston? For an upcoming trip to Central America I have airline options that go through Miami (bad, in my previous experience); Charlotte, NC (probably not too bad); or Houston (I dunno).

It seems to me that the biggest variable would be getting through Immigration and Customs. Vancouver has a beautiful international terminal, but it took me forever to get cleared the last time I arrived there.

This site lets you generate reports for IAH and MIA that might give you an idea of bottleneck times/days. http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/ They don't have data for CLT, but CLT means USScare, so that should settle that.

My own tip for a speedy trip through clearance. Bring legal food with you. The form is so badly worded that you can legitimately say that you need an agricultural inspection and waltz right up to one of the always empty stations while the Oklahoma land rush is crushing the green light lanes.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21989 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 8:44 AM
"I'm constantly amazed that good liberals who devoutly believe in Global Warming nonetheless are often gallivanting around the world on jet transports, gratuitously adding huge amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere."

They are the 'elites'..the rules don't apply to politicians, their friends, union members, or, for that matter, AFrican Americans or other minorities.

It is only 'THEM'(some one else) who are responsible for global warming.

JUst wait until Obama carries out his promise to make your utility rates 'necessarily skyrocket'.

t.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21998 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 3:00 PM
Question: But how good or bad is the airport in Houston?

Oh so helpful replies:
T -
Must be because Obama is in the White HOuse..everything is historic and unprecedented.

Hey, where is Al Gore? The Gorulus?

SP -
Why aren't you folks staying home and finding ways to enjoy life that don't involve producing the pollution that so many of you folks seem to abhor?

T -
They are the 'elites'..the rules don't apply to politicians, their friends, union members, or, for that matter, AFrican Americans or other minorities.

It is only 'THEM'(some one else) who are responsible for global warming.

JUst wait until Obama carries out his promise to make your utility rates 'necessarily skyrocket'.

There, I'm sure your question was answered satisfactorily. Most of the rest of the country has the same difficulty getting rational answers from the republicrite party these days.

My advice - be choosy with the the airline, not the airport. For example, my favorite airline, Frontier, flies into Midway in Chicago. Midway is not that great an airport. Frontier also flies to Costa Rica.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21999 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 3:06 PM
My own tip for a speedy trip through clearance. Bring legal food with you. The form is so badly worded that you can legitimately say that you need an agricultural inspection and waltz right up to one of the always empty stations while the Oklahoma land rush is crushing the green light lanes.

Now that's an interesting idea. . . . .

It really works? Seems like they would just say you're in the wrong line and send you back to the land rush.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22001 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 3:16 PM
"
My advice - be choosy with the the airline, not the airport. For example, my favorite airline, Frontier, flies into Midway in Chicago. Midway is not that great an airport. Frontier also flies to Costa Rica."

Yep..a Frontier plane had a 'close miss' outside Denver earlier today.....

Midway is OK.....grungy , but OK to avoid O-Scare airport...which is always a zoo....

t

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22002 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 3:20 PM
<<Yep..a Frontier plane had a 'close miss' outside Denver earlier today.....>>

Three shots for a quarter....

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22004 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 3:24 PM
"Recommendations: 0

<<Yep..a Frontier plane had a 'close miss' outside Denver earlier today.....>>

Three shots for a quarter...."

Well, there were actually 3 planes involved..had to take evasive action..got within 1.7 miles of each other...and at 250 mph each, closing at 500 mph.....that's not a comfy margin......they are doing each 4 miles a minute.......

t.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22005 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 3:58 PM
It really works? Seems like they would just say you're in the wrong line and send you back to the land rush.

It's worked every time. I stumbled into it because I truly couldn't make sense of the Customs form the first time, so I played it safe and declared. They seemed happy to see me. Contrary to popular belief, government employees aren't any different from others. The day goes a lot faster if you have something to do.

Phil

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22006 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 4:01 PM
<<<<Yep..a Frontier plane had a 'close miss' outside Denver earlier today.....>>

Three shots for a quarter...."

Well, there were actually 3 planes involved..had to take evasive action..got within 1.7 miles of each other...and at 250 mph each, closing at 500 mph.....that's not a comfy margin......they are doing each 4 miles a minute.......

t. >>

That will be twenty-five cents please.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22007 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 4:03 PM
<<It really works? Seems like they would just say you're in the wrong line and send you back to the land rush.

It's worked every time. I stumbled into it because I truly couldn't make sense of the Customs form the first time, so I played it safe and declared. They seemed happy to see me. Contrary to popular belief, government employees aren't any different from others. The day goes a lot faster if you have something to do.
>>

So what are "legal foods"?

If you get in the ag line, do they process you for immigration as well at the same time?

I'd be interested in a little more detail. Interesting idea.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22008 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 4:43 PM
Yep..a Frontier plane had a 'close miss' outside Denver earlier today.....

That would probably be the controllers who messed up, not the airline. Unless the pilot screwed up and didn't follow the controllers instructions.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22009 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 5:38 PM
So what are "legal foods"?

Ones that aren't prohibited. (Remember, we're dealing with government regulation here.) I've brought back jars of jam, cheese, chocolates, etc. What's definitely prohibited is fresh produce. You can find more information at their website.

If you get in the ag line, do they process you for immigration as well at the same time?

I've cleared US Customs & Immigration only at Vancouver, O'Hare and Washington Dulles airports. In all cases Immigration was first, and separate. (I should note that I've not flown internationally into a US airport since 9/11, so I don't know whether there have been changes.) After the passport clearance you get your bags, then you clear Customs. At cruise terminals it's always been lumped together, so no "fast" methods there.

Phil

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22015 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 11:07 PM
I'm constantly amazed that good liberals who devoutly believe in Global Warming nonetheless are often gallivanting around the world on jet transports, gratuitously adding huge amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

With all due respect to the posters on this board (most of whom have sincere views about many things), it friggin' amazes me how relatively innocent queries can turn political so quickly.

I guess that's why my post of about a week or 10 days ago said I hadn't been here for a long time and was just checking in. I opted out a while ago precisely because of the political nature of the previous board and this one seems to have followed.

friar1610

Author: CountUptoten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22019 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 11:53 PM
Recommendations: 21
I guess that's why my post of about a week or 10 days ago said I hadn't been here for a long time and was just checking in. I opted out a while ago precisely because of the political nature of the previous board and this one seems to have followed.

friar1610

Basically, two posters are doing their darndest to ruin this board. They don't seem to be able to leave things alone. Every post becomes some right-wing, paranoid rant, unsupported by facts, and unrelated to either the topic or to the board name. Use the frowny face.

Count Uptoten

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22021 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 11:56 PM
Thank you Count Uptoten, for saying this. It's also the fault of those of us who can't help by reply...I'd have an easy fix for that if there was an ignore button for certain posters, but there doesn't seem to be, only an ignore thread button for threads..?

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22023 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/4/2009 11:58 PM
Sorry, didn't read you...frowny face then? I'll give it a try (if I miss any "the earth is flat" posts I guess I'll have to judge by other's posts and then I can post facts showing its' round, apparently :-)

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22029 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 8:13 AM
I opted out a while ago precisely because of the political nature of the previous board and this one seems to have followed.

Believe me, I know.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25115443

It fell apart pretty quickly because the people who invaded REHP and made it into a weird authoritarian board hated the idea, and wanted to tell us how stupid we were. We got outright trolling as early as message 41.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25116174

This is fairly typical of the "liberals shouldn't think about early retirement" messages that flooded the early days.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25134622

The board rapidly degenerated into a flame war between the people who wanted REHP-that-was back and the people who ruined the old board. That pretty much set the tone, and it never really changed.

Most of them have gotten bored and left, but a couple remain, and as a result it's never settled down to something normal. I don't point to this board as a good place to talk about retirement anymore - generally I mention "Retirement Investing" instead.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100154

It's not ideal, since issues specific to early retirement don't get discussed, but it's still far more than shows up at RECF or, sadly, here.

- Gus

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22031 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 9:06 AM
It's not ideal, since issues specific to early retirement don't get discussed, but it's still far more than shows up at RECF or, sadly, here.

I've actually found The Early Retirement Forums http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ to be pretty much on-target. (That's Dory's site - he's the inventor of FIRE Calc and a former REHP poster.) The way it's organized if you want to do/read political posts you can. If you don't, you just don't go to that part of the site.

friar1610

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22037 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 10:43 AM
ACtually, it is right on.

Liberals seem to think that your work (and money that you earn from it) belong to the state.

THerefore, early retirement is a 'crime' in their book - you deprive the 'public' of those tax revenues from having you work until you drop at 80 or 90.

Having the means to accumulate enough assets is also a 'crime'. In a lib world, no one has the means to accumulate assets (that is anti-lib). If you have enough after tax income to invest, you have too much. The government should be 'investing' your extra income in social programs and wealth redistribution.

IT's a plain and simple choice.

Those with a lib philosophy need to work to feed the government spending machine - and there should be on early retirement. That 'work' is owed to the government.

After all , it is 'from each'....that allows the 'needs of the one'.....to be paid by the government.....

tax and spend...tax and spend...tax and spend....

t.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22040 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
I've actually found The Early Retirement Forums http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ to be pretty much on-target. (That's Dory's site - he's the inventor of FIRE Calc and a former REHP poster.) The way it's organized if you want to do/read political posts you can. If you don't, you just don't go to that part of the site.

Hmmmmmm... Did they ever solve their authoritarian moderators problem over there? It seemed they only tolerated posts & posters who would agree with moderator viewpoints. That kind of dialogue is sometimes worse than ignorance because it gives a false sense based on enforced consensus.

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22045 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 3:43 PM
Hmmmmmm... Did they ever solve their authoritarian moderators problem over there? It seemed they only tolerated posts & posters who would agree with moderator viewpoints. That kind of dialogue is sometimes worse than ignorance because it gives a false sense based on enforced consensus.

Since I've been frequenting that site (intermittently for about 2 years) I haven't noticed any authoritarian moderators. In fact, I'm not sure I could tell you who moderates each individual forum. The tone is downright civil IMO.

friar1610

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22048 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 5:04 PM
"Comments?

friar1610 "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Houston has several airports :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=houst...

But most international flights go through the George Bush International
Airport north of the city. Decent airport - the international terminal
is easily accessed - the remainder is serviced heavily by
Continental and computer service connections are handled by a
"remote" terminal accessed vis an overhead rail shuttle.
International travel re-entry was not bad - lines were reasonably short
and no problems encountered in about 6 trips so far.

Charlotte is also a decent airport. I have not flown internationally
to or from Charlotte. Weather is not typically an issue in Charlotte.
You get the occasional ice storm and a rare snow storm versus the
occasional ice storm and hurricane in Houston.

Good luck with your trips whichever path you choose.

Howie52

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22050 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 6:17 PM

Miami does not have a domestic to international connection that stays behind security, I've flown to South America twice and this is a major problem. The Miami airport is also very dated and as a result there isn't room for a proper security checkpoint. IME, this results in chaos.

So I would recommend another option if the price is right. Houston's airport is new so I would assume that'll be ok. I'm going to Mexico on Wednesday on Continental through Houston so I could let you know in a week and a half how it goes.

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22051 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 6:24 PM

The form is probably intentionally vague - they want to make sure if people have doubt they declare.

I often have a cliff bar or something that contains fruit, nuts, etc with me. And by wording of the form this always necessitates a declaration. And as you noticed, often the line for people with declarations is quite short. If it isn't you can always just throw away the food.

Customs people are actually very reasonable in my experience. They're there to prevent live insects and parasites from getting in, so the inspection is usually nothing more than a glance at the item to see if it's processed/packaged or not.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22052 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 6:43 PM
<iWith all due respect to the posters on this board (most of whom have sincere views about many things), it friggin' amazes me how relatively innocent queries can turn political so quickly.

friar1610

It's not too bad here if you just p-box two posters.

Vickifool

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22053 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 6:46 PM
Thank you Count Uptoten, for saying this. It's also the fault of those of us who can't help by reply...I'd have an easy fix for that if there was an ignore button for certain posters, but there doesn't seem to be, only an ignore thread button for threads..?

Probably I'm late to post this, but next to the name of the poster, there is a smiley-face and a frowny-face. Click the frowny-face and they become grey ghosts. You can't see their words, and the "next" button skips right over them.

Vickifool

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22060 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 10:23 PM
Good luck with your trips whichever path you choose.

Howie52

Howie,

Thank you for the info. And thank you for actually responding to the original question (instead of politicizing things.)

I suppose the fact that the Houston airport is named after George Bush provides an opportunity for political commentary. But I ain't goin' there.

Friar1610

Author: friar1610 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22061 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 10:31 PM
Miami does not have a domestic to international connection that stays behind security, I've flown to South America twice and this is a major problem. The Miami airport is also very dated and as a result there isn't room for a proper security checkpoint. IME, this results in chaos.

I've found Miami very annoying during 2 trips to SA.
So Houston and Charlotte sound good.

friar1610

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22063 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/5/2009 11:06 PM
"I suppose the fact that the Houston airport is named after George Bush provides an opportunity for political commentary. But I ain't goin' there"

One is called that...the other I think is Hobby Airport.....HOU

http://www.fly2houston.com/

Just make sure your domestic flight lands at IAH......not the other.....otherwise, you'll have a hectic trip between airports....

Most people flying to Houston domestically wind up at HOU....

t.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22076 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 1:16 PM
"Thank you for the info. And thank you for actually responding to the original question (instead of politicizing things.)"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ain't from around here - used to lurk and post on occasion.
Retirement ideas and threads don't tend to follow political
prisms and good ideas come from all types of folks.
But the crowd got a little too stuffy and folks seemed to not
want responses that did not follow party lines so I don't stop
by on any regular basis.
I still drop by but don't post here unless there is a post where
I have some direct knowledge that folks might want to hear and that
doesn't offend the skew of the board.

Howie52

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22077 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 2:37 PM
The board rapidly degenerated into a flame war between the people who wanted REHP-that-was back and the people who ruined the old board. That pretty much set the tone, and it never really changed.

The best solution might just be to name the board RENP - Retire Early - No Politics. Kind of like METAR does a pretty good job of doing.

Some people just can't help themselves with the word 'Liberal' and have to lashout. I don't know why. They feel threatened I guess. Liberalism isn't for wimps. I have always liked being a liberal myself.

Liberal:
Favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

Favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression.

Free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant

open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.

Nope, not a darn thing wrong with being liberal. In fact - it's the only way to live.

Volucris - Proud Liberal since I don't know when. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22081 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 2:45 PM
The best solution might just be to name the board RENP - Retire Early - No Politics. Kind of like METAR does a pretty good job of doing. - Volucris
---------------------

Sounds like a good idea? How about just renaming this board? How would we enforce the "no politics" rule?

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22082 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 2:47 PM
The best solution might just be to name the board RENP - Retire Early - No Politics. Kind of like METAR does a pretty good job of doing. - Volucris
---------------------

Uh? Would that also include no talking about NDE's or holographic universes either? <grin!>

Artie

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22083 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 2:53 PM
oh...I'd pick a few more definitions....not yours that apply to olde england...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Liberal

"of, relating to, or based on the liberal arts"

Al Gore fits this perfectly...science fiction, not science...and the rest of the laywers in congress......who don't understand basic science or economics...

"lacking moral restrain"

Guess Tiger, and half the lib dems in Congress fit that definition....

- - - - -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liberal

"favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs."

Ah, yes....the 'progressive party'...usually also called the commie party in most other nations...that means wealth redistribution, except for the elites who get to keep theirs.

"noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform."

Ah, yes..workers of the world unite - Andy Stern...and Karl Marx.....

"free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant"

Yeah, right....11 AP reporters in AK fact checking Sarah's book, and not one investigating climate gate or the other scandals in the House and Senate.........or the White House Secretary's Office partying on the job...and endangering the Pres, VP, and guests.....

" open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc."

Tell me about Palin again.....

" characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor"

And not a single one of the lib dems has voluntarily given another 5% in income taxes to the treasury to pay down the national debt.....In fact, most brag how little taxes they pay....if they even bother to pay them!!!!!!! you seem to have to be a tax cheat to be in the Obama adminstration..

You got me rolling on the floor....

NOW HERE IS A BETTER DEFINITION

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=liberal

"Technically, someone who falls to the left in a political system, who believes in government programs (healthcare is a good example, as is welfare) and a larger scope of government, also favors monitoring of business and protection of constitutional rights. Someone who believes that the federal government should have more importance than state government, "

Yep..the party of BIG GOVERNMENT...where BIG DADDY knows best...give your money to the government and they will redistribute it...nay, they'll take it to start with, and give out according to political clout...unions, lawyers, minority representation groups, ACORN, etc.....

Got it!

t

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22087 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 3:05 PM
Uh? Would that also include no talking about NDE's or holographic universes either? <grin!>

no. that's not political

and most of us have learned to just ignore you when you go off into your Holographic Universe <G>

-
... METAR ALMOST works because they have a tough 'moderator'

... really this board mostly works if you ignore the two or three Harpies

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22088 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 4:56 PM

Knock yourself out, Artie.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22089 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 4:59 PM
oh...I'd pick a few more definitions. . . .blah blah blah blah. ad infinitum . . .yawnnnnnn. . .

I'm sure you would - no real surprise there.

Good rant, by the way.

Author: CountUptoten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22097 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/6/2009 8:47 PM

Artie

YES!!!

Count Uptoten
... <BG>

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22113 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/7/2009 10:29 PM
Recommendations: 9
RENP - Retire Early - No Politics.

I like the idea in principle...but over time I think will discover how fine the line is between investing and politics...economic policies' effects on the markets and many other examples. Then it would get worse: "how come your post yesterday about [something] doesn't count while my post today about [something else] counts as political?" type wars and flames erupting..

Politics per se isn't the problem IMO. There is probably a majority of us who do not get that bothered by a little comment here and there by someone expressing a different view from ours about, say, gay marriage, abortion, the 650 billion or more spent on military every year, or tax breaks for the richest fraction of 1%...a little comment here and there won't rile most of us.

What does get tiresome are the same 'clever' but oh so angry, quips, the same long tirades, the same less than mature 'clever' zingers over, and over again, about

1. "ha! it's cold this winter in [location] so ha, global warming must not be true! liberals! Never mind decades of science data..did I remember to bring up Al Gore? Ha what a fool he is! He also doesn't walk bearfoot to conferneces in Europe, he FLIES there, the hypocrite! It's cold in my state this year, that proves GLOBAL warming is fake! fake I tell you! Libral fools!" and

2."Aren't I so clever for paying less taxes while I still enjoy public services! [versus the next day] Aren't the poor so damn lazy for paying less taxes but expecting public services! The outrage!! Aren't you an inexperienced unclever idiot for paying a lot of this tax! [the next day:] I pay a lot of real estate tax...do YOU? Well, do you, pal? Huh??? Didn't think so, now you're not so tough are ya buddy?? Damn right you're not as tough and smart and as Big a Man as I am! [admires tough self in mirror] Yeah!!"

and 3. "All Black men are..." and similar statements about the behavior, tastes, preferences, likes/dislikes, proclivities, etc of a group consisting of tens of millions of human beings.

and similar claptrap over and over ad nauseum. A few "I love guns!" and "Sorry I'll never vote for gay marriage" and similar comments here and there would really not be a problem...it's the above kind of things that really downgrade this group week after week..

So thanks to those who pointed out the :-\ frown button...which helps..but only partially in these long threads..

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22122 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/8/2009 7:52 PM

Artie

Of course not! Nothing political about NDE.

Vickifool

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22123 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/8/2009 7:55 PM
Of course not! Nothing political about NDE.

might depend on the NDE

(>,

( folks may recall that my first (not my 2d) was pretty political ..but i tend not to talk about it )

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22127 of 63329
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/8/2009 10:45 PM
Uh? Would that also include no talking about NDE's or holographic universes either? <grin!> - artie
-------------------------------------------------------------------
YES!!! Count Uptoten ... <BG>
Of course not! Nothing political about NDE. - Vickifool

<While holding my hands over my ears and closing my eyes,>

I'm so confused!

Artie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement