No. of Recommendations: 11
I have T-Mobile as my phone carrier. We won't go into specifics, but in our area, it was the best option.

On Tuesday after work, I stopped by their payment kiosk and tried to pay my bill iwth my debit card. I do this every month, usually with no problems.

Not so much Tuesday, I got a message telling me that the kiosk was unable to process my transaction. No problem, I just paid with my MC, got my reciept and left. I figured I'd just make an additional payment to the MC for the amount of the cell phone bill.

When I got home, I logged onto my checking account and there was the T-Mobile payment listed as pending. I figured it was a glitch and that it would go away when everything closed out at the end of the business day on Wednesday. Nope, on Thursday, the payment showed up as having been paid by my bank. I checked my MC statement online and the payment there showed up as well.

I went to the T-Mobile store yesterday expecting a fight to get one of those charges removed. At the very least, I expected that they would argue that it would apply to the next month's bil. Neither of those things happened. The CSR checked my bank printout, checked my credit card printout and verified that they did, in fact, show that two payments were made on my account and one of those payments was now showing up as a credit.

They processed a refund to my MC on the spot. No arguments, no hassle, just great customer service. In this somewhat stressful holiday season, it was just so nice to have a real live human being handle this transaction with a smile.

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I went to the T-Mobile store yesterday expecting a fight to get one of those charges removed. At the very least, I expected that they would argue that it would apply to the next month's bil. Neither of those things happened.

It is sad that many (most?) of us anticipate fights with CSR before we call or show up. I do the same thing. But in reality, things go well due to helpful reps or just good processes, far more often then they go badly.

But putting on my psychology hat (2 quarters as freshman in college), I believe we dislike the bad experiences more than we enjoy the pleasant ones. So they play more prominently in our perceptions of the future.

v/r
Tom
No. of Recommendations: 3
I think that when employees are given the flexibility and freedom to do the right thing when presented with an honest situation (such as a clear case of double payments), they will do so. Most people don't go to work each day looking for ways to screw the customer. Unfortunately, too many employers feel their bottom line is best served by restricting employees from being able to take the steps to satisfy customers, taking the approach that the less they do the more money they save, or not trusting their employees to make honest judgement calls.

Fuskie
Who expects OP would have had a different experience had he called customer service rather than gone into a store in person...
I believe we dislike the bad experiences more than we enjoy the pleasant ones. So they play more prominently in our perceptions of the future.

It certainly seems likely. The guy was an absolute joy to work with. He was smiling and helpful and I can only hope that he's not a temporary seasonal employee!

I even found out while I was there that we can get DS a phone added to our line for $10 a month with a $10 phone purchase. Given that he just needs one to call me when his afterschool activities are over, it was a great idea for an additional surprise Christmas present for him this year. He already knows one item since he asked for it by name.

LWW
I am a Nextel Customer with FREE service for life because of a Venture Capital investment I made in Nextel prior to 1995.

Ah, one of the many perks of being in the 1%--or maybe just a savvy investor!

=alstro, who could've used another of the perks last night, as I headed back to my apartment after dropping off DGS at DD's college in Greenwich Village for her dept holiday party, shopping in the Village and heading for the subway with a heavy backpack...only to find subway probs that left me standing in a crowded, hot subway for 45 minutes followed by a very slow trip uptown...my kingdom for a taxi!
No. of Recommendations: 5
Did you get the rep's name so you can send a letter or email to their manager so they'll get some credit for good work?
No. of Recommendations: 21
The Great Satin, AT&T(T)

Is AT&T really soft and kinda shiny?
No. of Recommendations: 6
T-Mobile and now even Sprint both offer very good to excellent customer service. The Great Satin, AT&T(T) -- not so much!!!

I would have thought Victoria's Secret was The Great Satin.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Satin vs. Satan...

Feels like deja vu all over again.

LOL He get's dinged on that one every time.

TH
LWW -

Glad to hear your good CSR story. I probably would have just let the credit apply towards the next month's bill. That would save me the trip back to correct the problem AND next month's bill paying trip.

Also curious about your son's age. We've been discussing the whole "what age to get a cell phone" thing in our house, and I wouldn't mind hearing any thought process you may have had on the subject if you're willing to share.

xtn
No. of Recommendations: 4
Also curious about your son's age. We've been discussing the whole "what age to get a cell phone" thing in our house, and I wouldn't mind hearing any thought process you may have had on the subject if you're willing to share.

DS is 14 and started high school this year. He's very active in his school's theater group and worked as the apprentice on the sound board for 3 of the 4 productions this fall. While I love the theater teachers dearly, not a one of them has any real concept of time. So a practice that that is supposed to run 4PM to 7PM might run until 8:00 one night, or possibly 9:00 if it's the week of the show. Or sometimes, a rehersal that is supposed to be done between 8 and 9, will be finished before 8:00 if everything is running smoothly. Once the production is actually running, some nights the cast and crew get to leave as soon as the play is over, some nights they have to wait to have pictures made, and some nights they have to do a complete set breakdown if another group is using the theater the next day. We live across town from the school, so once I make the trip over to get him, it isn't cost effective to drive back wihtout him and have to return later. After waiting for over an hour several nights, and than having DS have to wait for almost an hour one night, we started letting him carry my phone. The only problem there is that if he has my phone, he can call the house phone, but I am then left without a phone ot use if anything were to happen to prevent me from getting there to pick him up at the expected time.

When I talked to the CSR, he mentioned that we could get a phone from them for $9.99 and then add a line to our existing contract for $5/mth. That was the kicker, he originally told me $10/mth which still seemed like a good deal, but on Saturday we found out that we could get it for $5. We went ahead and went for it.

If he wasn't involved in afterschool activities, I probably wouldn't have gotten him one, but as it is, it's cheap enough not to have to make unnecessary trips. Especially since next semester starts UIL One-Act competition.

LWW
Thanks LWW. Good analysis.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Satin vs. Satan...

LOL He get's dinged on that one every time.

LOL indeed.
I cant think of another poster that can so consistently "contribute" such meaningful content from a virtuous lifetime of investing acumen and great personal triumps. I will NEVER get tired of reading about the lawyer daughter, his low six figure income and various other random daily events from 50 years ago.
Its almost an art form.
Satin vs. Satan...

This is cracking me up again, I almost fell out of my chair laughing!
(Thanks, I needed a good laugh on this gloomy rainy day here)
Thanks LWW

As for clock watching drama teachers, I don't think they exist.
One of the strange situations DD ran into was when the Math teacher wanted her to insist that the Drama teacher do the paperwork for an excused absence. DD had done her part on time and just looked at the Math teacher when he complained about the other teacher's delay in doing some paperwork (we all laughed, DD's attendance record and grade did not suffer)
As for clock watching drama teachers, I don't think they exist.

I suspect you are right. It wasn't much of an issue for my parents, since we lived really close to the school and I just walked home from practice. I guess when you're in a fun class, it's easy to lose track of time.

LWW
Advertisement