UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 38Packard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10381  
Subject: Re: Quicken Premier 2010 Date: 10/19/2009 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
How about giving us a full review when you get it?

Will first impressions do?

I received Quicken 2010 Premier today via USPS. Not bad from Amazon who were not able to provide an ETA when I first ordered :-)

I first ran a backup of my data.
Uninstalled Quicken 2007.
The package was small - I liked that - no big box filled with air - but it did still have the requisite junk pamphlets in the box.
I inserted the CD and the installation routine took off.
Quicken installed in minutes, and threw the usual trunkload of icons for "free this and free that" onto my desktop. I think they were there for about 30 seconds before I deleted them.
The updates were downloaded (must have been a bunch as this took awhile)
Quicken started and remembered the location of my data file - which actually resides on a desktop computer up in the office (my G: drive)
It asked if I wanted to convert the data file into a consolidated data file and I gave it the go-ahead.
It converted approx 58,000 items and validated about 40,000 of them.
I went through the registration process
Ran One Step update - my usual Password vault password worked fine
I downloaded from 2 Fidelity accounts and 1 T Rowe Price account
All was well :-)
I activated Quicken Home Inventory and my data was there.

The look and feel is substiantially changed - although, all of the components will look familiar, they are now reorganized. The same graphs and charts and report-like screens are all there - the numbers even stayed the same :-)

I think I will like the new interface - but it will take awhile to get used to. I customized the toolbar and selected the new menu bar instead of the classic menu bar. Not sure which I will like better.

I then installed on my wife's laptop as well, as I travel occasionally with my laptop, and we like to both have it on our PC. We cannot both access the data file on the network drive simultaneously, which is OK with us. Her install crashed Internet Explorer during the registration process, and I had to re-boot her PC, but then we got through the registration process on her PC and she is now up and running. We're both running Windows Vista.

They have done NOTHING with Quicken Home Inventory. It is still the UGLY old crappy interface that thay have had for years. Not sure why they would not fully integrate it into the product - maybe not enough folks use it, but I find having my home inventory on Quicken then reflects in our overall Net Worth - which is a good thing.

It was basically a painless upgrade, which is usual fare for my experience with Quicken. It just works for me. Now to spend some time figuring out how I want it to look.

I did notice that the Tax tables are updated for 2009 and shows a nice refund due! Not sure if that is accurate or not - need to look into the numbers, but if so, that would be a pleasant surprise :-)

Hope this helps. If anyone has a specific question, I'll try and look into it for you.

Cheers!
'38Packard
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement