Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: OT for mazske Date: 1/6/2007 11:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
How about recent ex-prisoners? They wouldn't require an armed guard. (I'd favor ones who are volunteering WITHOUT any community-service requirement on their release, but you're in a better position than I am to decide.)

A year or so ago, a fellow came to the PD and asked to talk to me. He told me he had recently been released from prison and had heard of my work and was curious if I had any suggestions for him. I gave him some advice, and told him I'd think about having him come with me into the schools. I took his name and number.

Then, life just kicked in and I got too busy and forgot about him. I hope I wrote his name and number in a pad in my office and if so, I may look him up. I may know another way to find him. Actually, I just thought of a way.

Hopefully, he has stayed clean. He was locked up for something like 20 years, so he's middle aged.

If I could find a young person, maybe 20 years old, who spent something like 2 years locked up, that may impress the kids better. However, how to go about finding a sincere person? I'll see if I can figure it out.

I want to make it clear that I applaud your efforts... and am tossing out ideas that, if they are feasible, might help you make them even more effective. (While acknowledging that tossing out ideas is a lot easier than determining which ones are feasible, and making the feasible ones happen is a tougher task yet.)

Thank you! If you want, shoot me an e-mail to let me know what part of the world you live in and if you can help me in any way to get something started in your area.

Of course, there is a subtle bias you're fighting against. In the ideal, every cop and every prison guard and every prison official and every prosecutor should be trying to make his own job superfluous. But how many people really do try to eliminate their own jobs? Not many.

I jokingly tell other police that my goal is to be so successful in reducing future crime, I cause the PD to go out of business.

However, that'll never happen. If we did go out of business, then crime would just pick back up.

Yet, I think my efforts can reduce future crime and also improve society by having a better educated society.

I've gone on record by telling a group of probably 100 or so police chiefs that I challenge each of them to copy my programs as it'll help their image and their communities, two things that every police department should want to do.

Yet, a few inquiries, but nothing serious has happened yet.

Well, I'm wrong. The most populated county in Virginia has adopted my cops in schools reading program. That started small, but they did get an article in the Washington Post that credited me and my department with starting this. That led to another person in another state contacting me for more information.

And, the Book 'Em event did spread to New Hampshire and hopefully will be in North Carolina in 2008.

So, the spreading has started. I guess I just get impatient and after 3 years, have hoped my work would be global.

Yet, I do have patience and I'll keep plugging away until my dying day, be that tomorrow or 50 years from now. If I don't, who will?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement