Forgive me you fools.Let this newbe make a suggestion. Would'nt this board be more useful if we could focus on topics with relevant threads? Permit me to suggest a few of the topics (already raised under the da da da 59 thread). There were a lot of informational topics that should be reincarnated and followed as threads. It would be nice if a TMFster would help us set some rules here.Annuities .. rip off or notGold .. where is it headed? Should we care?Allocation.. perspectives onNursing homes ..to die for?IRAs.. to Roth or notTaxes.. how to avoid or reduceOne of the premises for this board, if I understand it correctly, is to provide relevant financial discussion pertaining to those of us who are retired. Across that spectrum there are those who are tired of listening to advice selectively focused on the shavetail baby boomers and their collective wealth. Some of us, of another generation, need to sort out where we go from here, and the internet, and the media, are not addressing our concerns, and the emphasis on "not addressing" increases with the number of decades one has been on the planet.My next post will attempt to address a topic. I know I have more questions than answers, and from what I peruse from this board most of us do.Fool onStony
Stony2 writes:<<Let this newbe make a suggestion. Would'nt this board be more useful if we could focus on topics with relevant threads?>>Allocations:I am concerned about the question of ALLOCATIONS ofof "Nest egg funds." Does the old rule of thumb "take your age (e.g., 60) and put that into "safe"investments (i.e., 60% in Bonds plus Money Market),and with the remaining funds (in this e.g. 40%) into stock funds. It appears to me that this "rule" is of little to NO value! It does not account for your need for growth (so you don't outlive your money), or on the other side of the coin - being you don't need this for living expenses, but wish to share your good fortune with your children, etc. - so they can spend it and have a good time after you are gone! Any thoughts ?Dick
Dick,I have read several places that the old rule is modified and growth allocations during retirement should be higher than they were before.Also, remember real estate can be part or all of your "safe" investment, espescially if it is income producing. I have had this same discussion about allocations with my tax consultant. He has seen all variations of portfolios that work for his clients.Hope this helps.Mel
Allocations: I am concerned about the question of ALLOCATIONS of of "Nest egg funds." Does the old rule of thumb "take your age (e.g., 60) and put that into "safe" investments (i.e., 60% in Bonds plus Money Market),and with the remaining funds (in this e.g. 40%)As with any generalization it is a good place to start your thinking. If you are afraid of stocks the rule might help you see that you need stocks even as you get older.However, if you retire early and or have good health your money has to work may more years. I think the rule is outdated and you need more in stocks. Remember when it comes to life expectancey, the numbers in the tables are the average. Than means 50% of the people out live the table. You need stocks to maintain your standard of living.Your total assets and income needs are also important. The more assets you have in relation to your income needs the more you can put in stocks.By the way, you can count a pension as part of the bond investment when figuring asset allocations. Same with Social Security.
You want topics, here's one.Where do you retire? and why?I'm living in California now and plan to retire in about 12 years. Not much chance of my staying here with the high taxes and cost of living. Where should I look for a new home? I know there are a few states with no income tax, but how do they compare on other expenses?My parents own a house in Arizona, but spend a lot of time travelling around in their RV. They're even thinking of going "full-time". Anybody here have experience with that?
Come on all you fools. Post the topics in the "Subject:" box, not under the topic entitled "How about some topics?"Stony
Anybody here have experience with that?(assuming that above is about being full time in an RV)Well hi neighbor, I live in California too, just down the road some (near San Jose).When I first moved here, we lived in a motor home for about 6 months while looking for a house we could afford.It gets old quick, and I would recommend that you try it for at least that long before selling off the homestead.Of course since we were stationary, we did not have the advantage of new scenary every few weeks or months that might make it more pleasant.Anyhow thats my opinion.oldred22
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |
BATS data provided in real-time. NYSE, NASDAQ and NYSEMKT data delayed 15 minutes.
Real-Time prices provided by BATS. Market data provided by Interactive Data.
Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings Estimates, Analyst Ra