UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/11/2012 10:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just checked how my IRA has been doing vs markets as of 8/31.

Not bad for an amateur! How are you doing?

Vermonter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

YTD 1 YR
My IRA +18.19% +16.70%
S&P 500® Index +11.01% + 9.13%
Dow Jones Industrial Average +8.06% +10.12%
NASDAQ Composite Index +13.51% +7.83%
Russell 3000 +10.40% +7.33%
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70903 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/11/2012 10:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I see that you reposted your previous post. If you are trying to line up your columns, you need to use the < pre> and < /pre> tags around your text. Remove the space I added after the first bracket.

PSU

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70904 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/11/2012 10:10 AM
Tnx,PSU. Hope it didn't show up twice.

Vermonter

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70905 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/11/2012 10:30 AM
Recommendations: 2
I don't really understand what you posted. But...I've got 60% of our portfolio in short and intermediate investment grade at Vanguard, with the balance spit between the SP500 and the Total Market Index. I'm satisfied with this. Good luck to us all, because who knows where we go from here.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70907 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/11/2012 11:44 PM
Overall just a little under the S&P and Total Market but that's because I'm 30% fixed income. And those yields are half what they used to be. Don't see that changing anytime soon either.

Heard a local bank's investment manager speak today. He's an economist by training so maybe that explains his pessimism. Pretty depressing. Thank heaven I read The Kiplinger Letter when I got home. They don't forsee a rapid recovery but are a lot more positive than the bank guy. I'll continue with my long term strategy.

Author: ww4321 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70911 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/19/2012 9:41 AM
RetiredVermonter what are your stocks etc?

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70912 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/19/2012 10:19 AM
Recommendations: 1
All of mine are in my IRA, of course, which affects things a bit. I also sometimes buy or sell some, depending on timing for dividends or whether or not they look like a hold or sell.

Since you ask, I currently hold the following:

AGNC
BGS
GE
INTC
NLY
PWER
T

Not a lot of diversity just now. I like the big dividends currently from AGNC and NLY, but beware if interest rates (or other things) make for changes there.

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70913 of 76421
Subject: Re: How Are You Doing vs Markets? Date: 9/19/2012 10:42 AM
ww4321:

To amplify a bit, I try to have some good, seemingly stable stocks that also pay reasonable dividends; some "edgy" ones that pay high dividends; and one or two that look like they may go up in price.

The computer makes it a lot easier to track and look into stocks, funds and such.

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement