UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gapfan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461  
Subject: How bad is bad? Date: 11/29/2002 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I just want to make a comment that you do not need to lose 'everything' before making a decision that alcohol is creating problems in your life. I had gotten to the point where I was having a problem at times 'controlling' just how much I would drink, and at times would drink more than I should or drive after I had been drinking. Attendance at open AA 'speaker' meetings taught me that the disease is progressive, and I could look back and see that each year I drank more, did less appropriate things, and that indeed the problem was getting worse rather than better. I still had my job, wife, home and all those things, but was very depressed at the prospects for the future.

After attending meetings for a bit, I had to decide if I thought giving up alcohol would be 'right' for me. It had seemingly been such a friend in times of stress, pain, and other uncomfortable times, as well as a way to celebrate happy times. On Christmas eve I was sipping a drink in front of the Christmas tree, after having a disagreement with my wife, and asked myself an important question. If I am 'an alcoholic' it would be good to give up drinking, and if I am not, then is should not be a problem. So, why don't I try to stay sober 'a day at a time' like AA suggests? I tried and have been happy with the results for the last 29+ years (30 this Christmas).

I still attend my AA meetings and hear what happened to some of the people who, when at a point of decision, decided to keep drinking. I have not heard one tell how things got better as time went on. It may require some major changes in attitudes, but I sure like the results better than if I had continued on my old path. It was one of the most important and best decisions of my life to choose a sober way of life.

Best wishes to each of you, and happy holidays!!! Gapfan :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement