Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
How best to proceed depends on the complexity of your return. If your income consists of wages, interest, dividends, and maybe capital gains, and you take the standard deduction or the usual homeowner-type deductions (mortgage interest, state income tax, property tax, charitable contributions) - then you have a pretty simple, plain-vanilla return that you should be able to do by yourselves. If your numbers, deductions, etc. aren't too much changed from last year, pull out your 2000 return to use as a model, and to see where the numbers go and how the various forms fit together. Millions of taxpayers (including me) do their returns all by themselves and get them right!

If your return is complex - maybe you have a small business, or rental properties - then it might be too much to tackle, and you might be well-advised to find another preparer or use a software package. Re software, you probably won't go wrong with either TurboTax or TaxCut, which appear to be the two most popular packages. Both are pretty inexpensive.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.