UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Polywilliams Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127924  
Subject: How can I avoid cap gains tax? Date: 2/13/2004 10:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can someone direct me to a loophole? I am in the process of selling a rental home. My 'gain' will be around $30K. I have owned the property for 2 years, but never lived in it.
I do NOT want to lose 25% of this money. I understand that I could maybe pay down another property..a "like kind exchange" and avoid the tax.
Is it possible to make $30K in cap gain on one property, sink the $$ into another property, then finance the second property to pull out the money. (thereby not pay cap gains tax, but ultimately have the $$ in hand to put toward massive cc debt).
I REALLY want the money to go to the credit cards, but not at the expense of 25%!!! Any other ideas?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Wealth of Power
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.