No. of Recommendations: 0
How can I get my hands on some rhubarb for planting, how/where/when do I plant, how do I care for it, and how soon can it be harvested after planting?.

You should check your local Home-Depot, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, ect. garden centers for it. You can also look in your local nurseries for the roots or “crowns” Mail order companies, such as Park Seed, Pintree Gardens, ect. also have it but its getting a bit late in the season to order it from them. They usually ship the roots/crowns in early spring to be planted as soon as the ground can be worked. If you can find it locally, plant it in a loose, well drained rich soil and mulch it fairly well. Water it if it gets too dry. I wouldn't cut any this year but let it become established over the summer. Space the plants around 3 feet apart. The second year you can cut it fairly lightly for 2 or 3 weeks in the spring. After second year, cut it in the spring but allow it to go to seed and build up strength over the summer to last through the fall and winter. After it is hit by the first major frost/freeze in the fall, mulch well to protect the roots/crowns over the winter.

C.J.V.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement