No. of Recommendations: 0
How can I get the new home & apply the old home equity to the new home .... when my old home sells AND get a lower mortgage payment as a result of the old home equity monies being applied to the new home.
New home is for sale NOW ... haven't even started to sell the old home.

I was in similar situations the last two houses I sold - closing on my new house before closing on my old house. Here's what I did - got a piggyback mortgage. In both cases, I got a first mortgage for 80% of the new home's purchase price, got 2nd mortgage for 15% of the new home's purchase price and put 5% down. When my old house sold, I paid off the 2nd. You'll need to make sure your income will qualify you for payments on both properties. I was able to do this because I have little debt other than the house(s) - only my credit card that I pay off every month.

One word of caution, especially if you're not in a hot real estate market where you're selling - make sure you keep enough cash reserves so that you make mortgage payments on both properties for several months. In my first transaction, I ended up paying on both properties for 6 months.

Good luck!
AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement