Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MattCulbreth Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121338  
Subject: How can my company make a loan to me? Date: 3/9/1999 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I started a consulting business last year. I incorported, took in $4000 in income, and paid out $3400 to myself, the sole stockholder. The $3400 I paid out was going to be a distribution under an S-Corp, but I didn't get the papers in on time. That means my corporation was a C-corp for last year.

I'd obviously like to handle that $3400 in the smoothest way possible. I don't want to treat is as payment to myself in a 1099 relationship because I'll owe payroll taxes on it. I don't want to treat it as a dividend because then it will be double taxed.

So, can I treat it as a loan to myself? What are the steps needed to do this?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.