Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58560  
Subject: Re: Sugar Ad - Shocking Date: 2/7/2011 12:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How carefully I had to plan for that one Halloween treat was what made me realize that it was easier to put in the effort to get healthy but still get treats than to get type two diabetes and have to put in that kind of vigilance all the time.
----------------------
Last year, one of my friends was lamenting that her husband's nutritionist told them that he could have anything in moderation with his diabetes. The problem they ran into, according to her, was that they are not "moderation" people. If you can have a piece "once in awhile" then "once in awhile" turns into every day for them. Her husband, my TKD Grandmaster, developed TypeII diabetes and last year, shortly after visiting with the nutritionist, he ended up in cardiac arrest and while in the hospital for a bypass, they gave him an implantable insulin pump. This was to go along with the implanted defibrillator that he got the year before. This year, he has recieved an LVAD, which is his last implant before getting a heart transplant. This has been absolutely terrifying to watch, much less be on the receiving end! This week I am swearing off junk/processed food and watching what I eat like a hawk. We'll see if it makes any difference for me.

I am in a group along with your bionic friend. I haven't had the diagnoses yet, but I've been prediabetic for a number of years. "Moderation" is impossible.

The original Halloween candy post above and a recent interview with Dr. Oz on Good Morning America convinced me to get serious about the problem. I am truly an addict and it's just as serious an addiction as cocaine or meth.

Dr. Oz recommends quitting all sugar and grains for a week and adding cruciferous vegetables to the daily diet.

I've been doing it for a few days and still can't quite completely eliminate the grains, but I've gotten to where I only eat the grains as the last meal of the day, such as a bowl of cereal before bed.

I'm already feeling better.

I just hope I can remain tapped into my stubborn nature long enough to kick the addiction and then keep at it for the rest of my life.

I don't want implants of any kind nor the kind of death I witnessed a friend with diabetes had.

MOI
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement