UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749158  
Subject: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
...asset allocation anymore? I thought this was a retirement strategy board.

Just for fun I decided to check my asset allocation as of the end of Q3. I make a few decisions about my allocation -- how much to keep in my managed accounts, what to do with the resources outside those accounts -- but mostly the decisions are made by my account managers. Here's what I discovered:

CASH & EQUIVALENTS	28.3%  
BONDS 14.4%
REITS 6.5%
LARGE CAP US 32.1%
SMALLER CAP US 3.3%
INT'L STOCK 15.4%

TOTAL 100.0%

The bond allocation includes some short-term, some intermediate-term, some quality long-term corporates and some junk. The cash includes some I-bonds, some CDs and some money-market funds held by a managed account.

My portfolio was 8% up for the year as of 9/30, compared to the S&P 500's 12% (with dividends reinvested). That's not bad with all that cash and with having withdrawn 1.5% of the starting value for living expenses during the nine months.

What's in your wallet?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648662 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 5:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What's in your wallet?
-----------

Well, I'm too lazy to divide my stuff out that much. Besides, is GE domestic, international, or something inbetween? So.

Stocks - 33%
Vanguard funds - 62%
Cash - 5%

I don't do bonds.

arrete

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648665 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 5:42 PM
I'm around 87% domestic stock
3% Foreign stock
10% cash

39% consumer defensive
18% energy
15% utilities

In terms of market cap i'm "large cap blend" according to Fidelity and my portfolio is almost exactly like the Dow Jones US total market index in terms of valuation and market cap. I enjoy long walks on the beach and hot cocoa on long winter nights

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648667 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 6:21 PM
OK, hayseedians:

67% Growth & Income

22% Income

11% Aggressive

Like arrete, I don't do bonds either.

Unlike 2828, I like puppies.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648668 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 6:26 PM
OK, hayseedians:

67% Growth & Income

22% Income

11% Aggressive

Like arrete, I don't do bonds either.

Unlike 2828, I like puppies.
---------------------------
In that case you may have a career opportunity:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/49392880/ns/today-today_pets_a...

A judge in Georgia has appointed a lawyer to defend a pit bull that could be euthanized for attacking a neighbor's 5-year-old child, a court official said on Friday.

The dog's owner surrendered the animal, named Kno, to Effingham County, north of Savannah, last summer after it was accused of severely injuring the child, assistant county attorney Elizabeth Pavlis told Reuters.

Lawyer Claude Kicklighter, appointed by Superior Court Judge William Woodrum Jr to represent the dog, said he was still learning details of the case.

"All I can tell you is that the judge appointed me," he said. "I really don't know what the issues are."

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648669 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 6:31 PM
I don't do bonds.

One of my managers--the successful one--has had a significant portion of that account in bonds over the years. He came flying out of the box when I first got with him by buying junk bonds for 40 and 50 cents on the dollar, and every one of them ended up selling at 100% face value. Right now he likes big cap and international stocks and is at the lowest allocation of bonds evah.

What do you think of a Vanguard short-term bond fund instead of cash? You'd get a couple of percentage points more interest and the risks can't be that high, can they?

--fleg

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648686 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/13/2012 8:36 PM
What do you think of a Vanguard short-term bond fund instead of cash? You'd get a couple of percentage points more interest and the risks can't be that high, can they?
--------------

Well, I must say I'm in shock because I told DH about this thread over dinner (salmon ...). Shocked because he's the no bonds guy, only to find out his FIdelity person talked him into some kind of bond fund. But it isn't liquid. So I could looke at the Vanguard one, but I can sell funds anytime I want. So, I dunno.

I've been living off the proceeds for 14 years, and I'm almost back to the highest point - not figuring in inflation which I admit is something. Still, I've taken out a bunch.

I don't have time for this stuff - I need to practice my bass line and get the timing right. It's harder than you'd think. I'm comfy about finances at the moment.

arrete

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648847 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/14/2012 9:39 PM
I am primarily a Vanguard investor ever since my employer switched to Vanguard as their 401K custodian.

As of 9/30/12, my portfolio is up 7.8% for 2012.

It's 50.4% equity and 49.6% fixed income.

The equity portion is split as follows:
17.1% Large Cap equity
14.6% Small Cap equity
4.8% REIT
13.9% Intl Equity

The fixed income portion is split as follows:

I/EE bonds (4%) - love those 3% fixed 2001 I-bonds
MM funds (0.8%)
Short Term bond index - mostly treasuries (3%)
Short Term Corporate Bonds (9.5%)
Short and intermediate term municipal bonds (21%) - I'm in the 28% federal income tax bracket
TIPs fund (3%)
Stable Value - 401K (8.3%)

Before the Fed's ZIRP went into effect I was going with a 105 - age = equity percentage that led me to reduce my equity exposure each year, but I may be rethinking that because I don't think that fixed income investment vehicles are likely to provide much return for the next several years.

Mike

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648852 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/14/2012 10:03 PM
Let's see.

Bunch of cash, GE stock, pension, mutual funds from a few companies and truly overweighted in Cirrus Logic stock. Cirrus up 270% this year.

Goal is retirement in 3-4 years.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648923 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/15/2012 12:59 PM
Rough break down. Some individual stocks but mostly ETFs.

15% US stock
15% Foreign stock
10% emerging market stock
10% US REIT
10% foreign REIT
10% US bond
10% foreign bond
10% emergining market bond
10% commodity stock

I'm about 8% up for the year although at times I've held significant amounts of cash, as much as 50%. Only recently have I been all in.

JLC

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649010 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/15/2012 9:50 PM
In terms of market cap i'm "large cap blend" according to Fidelity and my portfolio is almost exactly like the Dow Jones US total market index in terms of valuation and market cap. I enjoy long walks on the beach and hot cocoa on long winter nights

Do you spike your hot cocoa with Canadian Club? <grin>

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649027 of 749158
Subject: Re: How come nobody talks about... Date: 10/16/2012 1:00 AM

Do you spike your hot cocoa with Canadian Club? <grin>

I don't.

I use Irish Cream.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement