Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13878  
Subject: How dare you? Date: 10/10/2012 10:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Someone please explain to me why the above question is correct as written... instead of 'How do you dare?'.

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12659 of 13878
Subject: Re: How dare you? Date: 10/10/2012 11:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Someone please explain to me why the above question is correct as written... instead of 'How do you dare?'.

It's a remnant of an old grammatical construct. It's (in that usage) called a "modal verb". Formally it modifies a phrase that includes another verb, however sometimes the entire phrase is sometimes implied: How dare you!

We get the same syntax in a lot of other somewhat-canned phrases with modal verbs:

Must you?
Need I continue?
Wilt thou take this woman... (a really long sentence followed by a short sentence, a long sentence, and a life sentence)

Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12660 of 13878
Subject: Re: How dare you? Date: 10/11/2012 2:47 PM
If Wikipedia is to be believed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_verb#English), a modal verb implies probability - such as must, can, should. I don't know if it includes "how dare you" or "need I continue"? Though the latter is pretty close to "must I continue" / "should I continue".

I wonder if "how dare you" is similar to "I have not" in slightly archaic English. As in "I have not the ring that you seek" instead of "I do not have ..." and "how dare you imply that I swallow pretzels" instead of "how do you dare to imply..." In both case, the auxiliary verb "do" is skipped.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12661 of 13878
Subject: Re: How dare you? Date: 10/12/2012 4:56 PM
As in "I have not the ring that you seek" instead of "I do not have ..." and "how dare you imply that I swallow pretzels" instead of "how do you dare to imply..." In both case, the auxiliary verb "do" is skipped.

As well sa the word "to"

I agree it's probably related to older, more formal English.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement