UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756627  
Subject: Re: I have a question. Date: 2/14/2009 9:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
How did this board end up a refuge for conservative political theory? I looked at some early posts about saving money, investing, and trying to retire early. Now, those topics aren't discussed so much.

I've been on/off here almost 11 years. From roughly 1998-2003, I wrote 4 legal pad pages of notes from lurking. I felt so many others were much further down the road to FIRE than I was and was amazed at the depth of knowledge. I didn't even know what SWR meant. When I retired in -05, those notes were helpful in making important decisions.

Retirement questions always get reasoned answers. The problem is, they just aren't asked much any more. I think the board's political stance is widely known and there's a sense that interrupting the almost nonstop political chatter might be considered an intrusion of sorts. That is certainly NOT the case, but perception is reality, as they say.

I'm surprised I've eeen relatively few posts about the impact of the economy on the FIREs and the pre-FIREs. Maybe that's because there have been a lot of "back-FIREs." There's got to be a lot of pain out there, but I haven't heard too much of it vented. Revealing dollar amounts would be inappropriate, but what about lifestyle changes? things put on hold? realizations that there's now too much fool's gold in the pot? things snatched out from under people?

etc.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement