UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: doanemil One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: How do i begin? Date: 3/30/2000 11:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
so i'm 25 and just inherited a chunk of change. i started an IRA this year (Roth) and i also contribute to a 401(k). but how i demystify the world of investing/brokerage and all that to decide what to do with the inheritance. it will sit without me touching it for about 30 years until i retire.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Rutabaga2000 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20818 of 75340
Subject: Re: How do i begin? Date: 3/31/2000 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What spurred me on the most was reading the Fool books. The Motley Fool Investment Guide really got me thinking about investment and retirement planning. I've just finished their 3rd book, on Foolish stock picking. Fun to read, and really helpful as far as making this all approachable and interesting. I also recommend the "Where do I fit" chapter of their second book, "You have more than you think". It gives suggestions for everyone, categorized by how much money you have to invest. Generally, I think reading the Motley Fool's investment books should be a prerequisite to trading stocks. Best of luck to you.

Author: grahamjenkin One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20879 of 75340
Subject: Re: How do i begin? Date: 4/2/2000 11:24 AM
I'd like make a few additions to Rutabaga's suggestions. The Fool books are definitely an excellent starting point. You may find it useful to read them in the order intended:

1. You have more than you think
2. Investment Guide
(try using the Investment Workbook here also)
3. Rule Makers, Rule Breakers

Also, there are some other great books and resources out there. Apart from fool.com and its great discussion boards, try reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki ... a great motivational book that helps you develop an open, winning mindset. For stock picking, I have found Mary Buffett's Buffettology to be excellent, and Peter Lynch's books are very useful also. For stock strategies, O'Shaughnessey's What Works On Wall Street is great, as is the Fool's Workshop here at fool.com.

I guess that's enough to get you going.

All the best,
Graham

Author: Rutabaga2000 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20903 of 75340
Subject: Re: How do i begin? Date: 4/3/2000 10:53 AM
>>Also, there are some other great books and resources out there. Apart from >>fool.com and its great discussion boards, try reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert >>Kiyosaki ... a great motivational book that helps you develop an open, winning mindset.

I LOVED Rich Dad, Poor Dad...and Kiyosaki's follow-up book, The Cashflow Quadrant. Both are highly recommended.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement