Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25316  
Subject: Re: 401K rollover? Date: 3/18/2005 10:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
HOw do I chose which funds to place it in?

I would suggest visiting the Vanguard site http://www.vanguard.com, click on the "Go to Personal Investors site ..." link | "Planning and Education" tab and start reading through the pages on "Investor Education" and "Retirement Planning".

Yes, I have some ideas, and I have posted my holdings in various messages, but what I do and what you do may be different things. What is important is that you understand what you are invested in and why. It is necessary to take prudent risks, but what you call "prudent" and what I call "prudent" may be different, and you may find that a 1-fund portfolio (such as the Vanguard Target Retirement 2035 Fund) is a better fit for you whereas I may find that a 4-fund portfolio is better for me because I have taxable investments to consider, along with trying to minimize tax drag on taxable investments, so I find asset placement a valid concern for my accounts.

But if I tell you that you should invest in A and B and have an Asset Allocation plan, but Chin comes along and suggests A and C with a variant Asset Allocation plan with a rebalancing scheme, and then someone else comes along and recommends market timing techniques and conveniently ignores that "index funds" are far more than just the S&P 500 index fund, if you don't already have a reasonable plan for yourself, you may find yourself swayed by the various messages that approach investing from somewhat different angles and with somewhat different needs and assumptions.

The best defense is to get some education under your belt, and I think Vanguard presents some useful information, at least from the prospective of being invested in both stocks and bonds and having an Asset Allocation plan with some form of rebalancing. And even if you decide to go with another company, at least you can see what one of the approaches is.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement