UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FrancisdeR Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1193  
Subject: How do I get back my non-resident withholding Date: 4/26/2008 11:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are Canadians but have lived in the US for more than 20 years. She received a small legacy from an aunt in 2007 and the Trust company withheld 25% non-resident tax (or they would gladly have filed the T2036 for $200, but this was such a small inheritance it was not worth it).

Now, I want to claim a refund for the withholding. We have no taxable income in Canada, and I understand legacies are not taxable (this was a cash legacy, no capital gains, etc.). The trust company does not seem to have sent any tax forms. I e-mailed them to ask what was happening, but no answer.

Could we just file a NR T-1 General, using the letter that came with the check as evidence that the money was withheld, or do we have a right to a T-3 or some other form as proof?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.