UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: idlenote One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308470  
Subject: How do I keep DW on track? (long) Date: 11/9/2003 6:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
In the last year, we've made good progress. We've taken the total CC debt from $63,000 to $48,000, and we're one payment away from doing a BT that will finally drop our maximum interest rate to below 20%.

I come here everyday and read the latest posts, keeps me very focused on what I'm trying to do. DW, on the other hand, says she doesn't have time to read the posts, although she will come read over my shoulder sometimes when I can show her someone in a worse position than us.

Of late she seems to be losing her enthusiasm for the program. We came through a really busy period, (we work together), she made lots of overtime, but it seemed like everyone had their hand out at the same time. Me, I'm on salary, so I got the short end of the stick.

In the last three months, the IRS hit us for $1600, DD had to have $1700 for this semester of college, couple of car rental bills, and of course, its been summer down here in deep south texas, don't even want to talk about the electric bill.

Consequently, our snowball slowed to a crawl. Last card we paid off was back in July. I thought I would have Walmart paid off by now, but I'm still about six weeks away from that goal.

Now she's making Christmas noises. Wants cash too. Knows better than to ask for a credit card. Wouldn't surprise me if she asks for a rent car to take a trip to Houston to see the kids before the end of December.

I don't mind doing this if I can get her back on track by January 1st. Problem is, the next card after Walmart is going to take a while, and after that there will be the big three left. I think it's going to be hard for her to generate any enthusiasm for that long haul.

I bought her the sewing machine she asked for after we got the second card paid off. Think she's used it about three times. Not sure what to try and bribe her with next.

She was making noises about retirement, explained to her that with our level of debt she was going nowhere but work. (She planted a coconut palm outside the office this spring, told me it was a pity she'd never see a coconut on it. I told her not to be so sure.)

Anyway, the point of this long and somewhat rambling post, how do you keep dragging your partner along with the program? To have come this far in the last year, I am not going to give up now. And that means she can't give up either.

I must admit that she hasn't done anything to really bust the budget yet, but I feel it coming on. I need to head it off before that happens.

Jim

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement