Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: auggies Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6730  
Subject: How do I know if an annunity is the right one Date: 2/13/2012 11:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is my first post. I am completely unschooled w/regard to investments. I have been approached by a Financial Advisor to switch my entire 401K into Principal Investment Protector Plus 2. I can't find any info on that fund - is it safe, performance, etc. I'm sure it's out there, I just don't know how to go about finding the info. Also, the F.A. is working me REAL HARD! That makes me suspicious. I'd like to think that she's altruistic, but... Can someone cut through the muckity muck and help me learn how I can make an informed decision.
Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6636 of 6730
Subject: Re: How do I know if an annunity is the right on Date: 2/13/2012 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
There is no reason to be suspicious. You can be SURE that the reason is that the FA is hoping to gain a large commission and ongoing fees. Most annuities are created to be sold not to be bought as a good investment. Most are not cost effective.

Bob

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6637 of 6730
Subject: Re: How do I know if an annunity is the right on Date: 2/13/2012 1:11 PM
If you do a search on annuity you will see a number of links to articles and message posts on the subject.
http://boards.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=annuity&dataSo...

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6638 of 6730
Subject: Re: How do I know if an annunity is the right on Date: 2/14/2012 1:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
This is my first post. I am completely unschooled w/regard to investments. I have been approached by a Financial Advisor to switch my entire 401K into Principal Investment Protector Plus 2. I can't find any info on that fund - is it safe, performance, etc. I'm sure it's out there, I just don't know how to go about finding the info. Also, the F.A. is working me REAL HARD! That makes me suspicious. I'd like to think that she's altruistic, but... Can someone cut through the muckity muck and help me learn how I can make an informed decision.
Thanks!

Being approached by a Financial Advisor is a bit like being approached by a used car salesman who calls himself a Transportation Advisor. In both cases, I understand how the "advisor" could be working real hard to make the sale.

culcha

Author: skew9 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6645 of 6730
Subject: Re: How do I know if an annunity is the right on Date: 4/11/2012 3:58 PM
i concur with bob. annuities serve a specific need. however when you really break them down and extrapolate a tangible rate of return on your principal money being put in, it is inferior at best and at worst will underperform. also you need to look at specifically who is backing the annuity in your particular state. does not matter if it says prudential on the cover page of the folder. dig in deep into the paperwork and you will be surprised at what you find.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement