UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AcmeFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: Re: Tracking value of savings bonds Date: 4/10/2004 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do you all track the value of your bonds?

Like MarkOYoung, I use the Savings Bond Calculator. In addition to this, I keep track of all of my bonds in Quicken -- I like to have a complete view of my financial life in there, so I take a few minutes each month to update all of my bonds.

In Quicken, I have an investment account titled "Savings Bonds" where I keep them. Each time I make a purchase (it has been a while, but I am buying more this week), I create a new "security" using the month/year of purchase, the denomination, and the type of bond. I transfer money into the investment account (in the past this has been done via credit card since that was how I bought the bonds; now it will be from my checking account) and buy the security.

I make the purchase exactly as it is in real life -- if I buy 2 $500 bonds, I enter it that way in Quicken.

Then, every month I update the value of that bond in the Portfolio View...I get the values from the Savings Bond Calculator (takes a few seconds) and then enter them into Quicken (this takes a few seconds per purchase).

For some, this is more work than it is worth...for me, it is ideal since it keeps all of my financial life in Quicken.

Hope that helps...let me know if you have any questions...

ACME
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement