Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ClabberGirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 974  
Subject: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/2/2008 9:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My baby is due in March, and I've been working full-time. My husband and I are sort of taking a leap of faith that I'll be able to stay home.

We have our own business, and we have good, strong projected sales and income for this coming year, but of course, it's a risk. All business ventures are. My income has been the more reliable? steady? one. I hate to say that, because the business often makes much more than I make, but it's just a bit more finicky, and it's seasonal (about 8 - 9 months of income). That said, my job is in newspaper, and our newspaper is not healthy. So, its reliability over the long-term is sort of iffy, anyway.

My job doesn't offer paid maternity leave.

The plan is for me to take all my vacation time / sick leave / personal days (which will keep a check coming in for about four weeks), then finish out FMLA, which will allow us to have health insurance -- paying our portion only. Then, we'll go on COBRA for about 18 months.

Then.... leap! We are going to figure out our insurance situation as we go along.

Has anyone tried to do the stay at home thing only to find a few months or years down the road that it just won't work?

That is one of my biggest fears at the moment.

Thanks!
Clabber
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 969 of 974
Subject: Re: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/2/2008 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hey CG!! You and I may be the only ones on this board. It hasn't seen any action in 2 years.
Anyway, I replied on the Parents board.
Take care,
Kathleen

Author: ClabberGirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 970 of 974
Subject: Re: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/2/2008 5:10 PM
Haha! I realized that as soon as I posted it; I had seen the date on the most recent post and thought, well, October isn't that long ago. Then I realized it was 2006!

Maybe we'll start reviving things over here. :)

Thanks again for all your advice.

Clabber

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 971 of 974
Subject: Re: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/3/2008 12:11 AM
Haha! I realized that as soon as I posted it; I had seen the date on the most recent post and thought, well, October isn't that long ago. Then I realized it was 2006!

Maybe we'll start reviving things over here. :)

Thanks again for all your advice.

No problem. As you may have noticed, the parenting board frowns upon SAHMs. You'll catch a number of the folks telling you you shouldn't quit your job, it's too risky, etc. I don't know if I already told you, but there's also a homeschooling board here at TMF:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=26818359&bid=113...

Palmer used to keep this board going, and it fairly well died after he stopped posting here. You will find some really good advice pertaining to being at home if you back-track through the posts, though.
Kathleen

Author: PalmerB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 972 of 974
Subject: Re: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/24/2008 1:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Just to clarify... the board died not Palmer :)

Author: epona4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 973 of 974
Subject: Re: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/24/2008 5:54 PM
Clabber,

Is there a possibility that your hubby can stay home? That is what my SIL and her husband are doing. I understand that having the home business makes that more complicated...just wondering if it were an option at all.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!

b

Author: ClabberGirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 974 of 974
Subject: Re: How do you know you'll be able to stay home? Date: 12/28/2008 12:15 PM
Is there a possibility that your hubby can stay home? That is what my SIL and her husband are doing. I understand that having the home business makes that more complicated...just wondering if it were an option at all.

Well, this is part of the beauty of our business. My husband already stays home! For the past two years, I have worked outside the home as a way to help support a dream of both of ours to run our own farming business. He has stayed home -- on the farm -- although I wouldn't necessarily put it that he is a "stay-at-home-dad" mainly because he works a LOT out on the farm. It's just that his "office" happens to be a field that we can see from our back door.

It's been great for our kids -- his two from his first marriage. The youngest is home-schooled by Grandma at the moment, and Dad is always a holler away. The oldest goes to the tiny K-12 school down the road, and when she walks up the driveway, Dad is there, and Grandma, usually.

The only difference now will be that I will be there too!

A lot of the success of me staying home depends on the success of our business. We've had three seasons to build it into a viable business. We have pretty strong projections for income -- it's just risky, you know.

We keep telling ourselves that any job is risky, what with layoffs and unexpected changes in the economy. Still, the habit of having a big corporation issue a check for the same amount every other week is a hard habit to break.

Fingers crossed!
We'll keep you all updated.

Clabber

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement