Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442277  
Subject: Re: Apple maps Date: 12/20/2012 10:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do you pre-load maps?

I've never had cause to use them, so I can't vouch for any in particular. However in the App Store, a search for "offline maps" brings up 5,200 options ranging from free to $2.99. I'm sure one or two of those would help.

How much data is being used by the mapping program when using turn-by-turn navigation? If it is a data hog, I would guess the Garmin is still good to keep to avoid the data usage.

I have used the iPhone navigation for almost two years. While I have a Garmin, it generally stays in one of the vehicles and we have 4 others (including the RV.) And while I don't use it on every trip, obviously, I use it a fair amount and it has never impacted my data use to the point of excess charges.

That said, the new Apple vector maps are supposed to cut the use by 80%. One vector map can endlessly scale up and down; the bit mapped maps required four or five "levels" of maps in different magnifications roughly every 10 miles (so you wouldn't see the overscaled graphics), and that meant there would be a fairly hefty data pull if you were going any significant distance.

Although I don't really know, I would presume that with vector maps it would do one smallish pull at the beginning (route, about like a MapQuest route, and one vector map) and that might be enough for all but the longest trips. Of course it would still be doing the GPS and A-GPS monitoring along the way, so "battery" would be the bigger concern.

One thing I do, since I don't usually need the screen on all the time, is switch to "music", pick a playlist or album, and then the screen dims after a minute or two, but the audio cues from the GPS continue (and override the music when necessary). All of the GPS apps seem to want to lock the screen in the "ON" position and there's no option to blank it out.

My favorite GSP app is "GPS Drive". I think it costs a couple bucks, plus $10 a year to add the voice turn-by-turn (it will do it without voice without the annual charge). I find their "search" function highly useful to locate businesses, etc. Better than MapQuest (free) which I sometimes use, and I used TeleNav and fell away from it (don't remember why), and I've just gotten Waze, which is a "social" attempt at GPS (updated traffic reports crowdsourced, I think.)

If it is a data hog, I would guess the Garmin is still good to keep to avoid the data usage.

The good thing about Garmin is you leave no data trail, so if you are going to rob a bank or something, only you know which route you took and when you were there. Using a smartphone there's a list of where you were, which cell towers you hit, which map route you pulled, when you were in a place, and so on. This could be important, especially if the economy goes in the crapper and you need to resort to certain not-totally-legit methods of making a living. HTHs. ;)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement