Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (92) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Windchasers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439972  
Subject: Re: smaller government, DrB? Date: 5/16/2013 5:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do you read that? Schools in many places are teaching creationism right now. I'm looking to change that.

O.o. If that's true, I'll be genuinely surprised. I know that many states or teachers are trying to teach creationism, but they keep getting the smackdown from the courts.

Of course, if they are teaching creationism despite it being illegal, then we have an enforcement problem. If that be the case, it'd make sense to address that before adding any new federal rules, as there's no point in coming up with new regulations if the states aren't following them.

So, let's say a state decided to test out the idea of just letting kids read the bible all day long. You're cool with that? Sounds great for the country.

Already illegal, and for good reason.

Look, I don't want to let the states try just anything. Rather, like in engineering or science, it's an iterative process. Try some new things, adopt what works. Then try variations on that, see which works better, and adopt that. Repeat.

Since we already know that teaching creationism as science is bad, ineffective education, there's no need to go back to it.

Once we have enough data to strongly show that one method is decisively better than another, we enforce that on the states.

So it's just a temporary measure? I'm very confused.

The grants and rewards are just temporary - the DoE would award grants to try something new (and your proposal would require approval from the DoE), as well as rewards for discovering a new, better way of educating kids. It's kinda like the science funding model (grants), or like the X Prizes for new technologies (rewards).

At the same time, we'd also employ some federal education standards that we enforce on the states, and we ratchet those up as new data comes to light. For instance: we're seeing a growing body of evidence showing that abstinence-only education is solidly sub-par to other types of sex education. If that evidence continues to firm up, I'd like the federal government to restrict the states' use of abstinence-only sex ed.

To sum up:
1) Try new things.
2) What works, adopt for everyone.
3) Repeat previous steps.

~w
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (92) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement