UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DestyNova One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42338  
Subject: How do you (working parents) do it? Date: 1/3/2009 8:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Another thread reminded me of this.

Many families are raised where both parents work. If that is the case for you, how fulfilling is it for you?

Society in general encourages marriage when it is a wise choice for few people, buying too much home, going shopping for things one can't afford to help the economy, etc. Having children is another of these, and the responsibilities and commitment to a kid seems much bigger than any of those other societal pressures put upon us. I want to get as clear a picture as possible of what it is like to have children before going into it.

DH and I have long commutes, high achieving careers. We're out of the house a minimum of 12 hours a day. During the weekday, we'll do cooking, regular workouts, and chores, but that's it.

It's hard for me to imagine that being a parent in that scenario can possibly be fulfilling or fun. Kids want play, kids want their mommy, kids need help with their homework, kids leave messes, kids need healthy homecooked meals, etc. In short, does the existence of a working family with children, in your experience, sound as zombie-like as it does on the surface? Is there anything you'd like to change about the situation?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement