Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (151) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: NoHorses3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40383  
Subject: Re: Adkins redux Date: 1/25/2004 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
How do/did they meet their daily energy requirements?

I'm definitely no expert on the Masai, but, along with meat, I think they, also, use cornmeal and honey.

On to the Kenyans...The fastest group of road-racers ever...Their diets are composed of carbohydrates in the form of ugali--a thick, polenta-type, cornmeal porridge (I made this once, and rather liked it, but it didn't make me fast ;-) along with cooked greens, milk, and fruit. They will add a bit of meat every so often. The school kids will run up to 20 miles a day to school and back home.

Inuits...Fish eaters...High Omega 3 poly-unsaturated fatty acid? That's all I can think of--BUT...how many of those on the Atkins or any diet eat fish every day and not much of anything else? Plus, I imagine the Inuits are outside in the cold, fishing and skinning and drying. Not to mention the Inuits may have elevated mercury levels and PCBs in their system due to eating so much seafood. Seems like if one thing doesn't get ya', something else will ;-)

I like to use the Japanese as a perfect example of what the Western diet can do to you. I lived in Japan for 3 years back when they ate traditional Japanese food--no McDonald's, etc. They ate small portions of rice, fish, veggies, and fruit and green tea all beautifully arranged on small plates and eating was a social hour not to be rushed. Their meals were, either, in a wok type of pan so all was mixed and cooked quickly, and their deep-fry like tempura had batter so light it was barely there. Tempura was a treat and not eaten often. Physical education was required and religiously performed every day in the schools. To me this was the perfect diet for health. Enter the Western diet and now there is a plethora of fat Japanese folk.

So, we come around full circle to EXERCISE...Could it be that lack of exercise is one of the main reasons why so many are overweight? Could be.

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (151) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement