UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: howsit6 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76395  
Subject: How does retirement @52 affect SS Date: 12/20/1999 10:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Retired at 52 after 30 years of SS earnings. I thought that the future years of no earnings until I reach 62 would not be used to calculate my benefits... dividing my taxed earnings only by the number of years I worked. I understood from the SS administration that if I had low earnings now til 62, this would actually dilute my high earnings of the past. Was I given bum advice?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Chipsboss Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16681 of 76395
Subject: Re: How does retirement @52 affect SS Date: 12/20/1999 11:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
for howsit6,

Quoting from the Social Security Administration site http://www.ssa.gov/SSA_Home.html

"Only the thirty-five highest earning years are considered in the benefit calculation. This results in 'zero-earning' years for workers with less than 35 work years and excludes years for those who have worked more than 35 years."

So, yes indeed, you did get bad advice. If you work any number of additional years up to five, you will NOT dilute your thirty-year record. You will instead replace years of zero earnings with the new years of non-zero earnings. You said you worked 30 years; I'm assuming you meant exactly 30 years.

I'm in the same boat, having worked 33 years, retired six years ago at age 53. I have no present intention of working any in the future; instead, I plan to start my social security when I turn 62. It might be harder for the government to confiscate my benefits, which I don't "need", if the benefits are started already. We'll see.

Cautiously,

Chipsboss

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement