UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DigbyRC Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75637  
Subject: How Expensive is a Fund, based on it's Fees ? Date: 1/6/2000 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mind goes to gel when I try to figure out how expensive a fund is. Sure I know that index funds, normally, are significantly cheaper than managed funds, however, how do you figure out what managed fund is the cheaper of two you are looking at - for your own specific investment plans. Here, I'm assuming that the two (or more) under consideration have similar year to year performances.

Basically I really don't know how to figure out from the information given in prospectuses how much I'll pay in fees.

For example, lets take a hypothetical investment choice.

I invest $3,000 in Fid. Sel. Technology (FSPTX). How much of that $3,000 gets taken out in fees during the course of year 1, and how much gets taken out in year 2 assuming I keep all my money in that fund, and how much gets taken if I exit it in year 3 ?

The fees listed for FSPTX are
Maximum Sales Fees:
Initial 3.00%
Deferred 0.00%
Redemption 0.75%

Maximum Fees:
Administrative 0.00%
Management 0.30%
12b-1 0.00%

Actual Fees:
12b-1 0.00%
Management 0.60%
Total Expense Ratio 1.20%

Expense Projections:
3yr $78
5yr $108
10yr $192

I obviously am at sea here because I don't understand how an actual management fee can be higher than the maximum fee, and I don't know how the expense projections are calculated and thus whether they are relevant to my situation and plans, nor how the expense ratio is calculated, nor whether in fact the expense ration is the only number I need to care about.

Any light any of you can shed on the subject, or any webresource that could help would be much appreciated.

Thx,

Dr.C
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement