UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (86) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bweaver Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308685  
Subject: Re: About being "scum" Date: 6/5/2002 12:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
How is doing what he did (crazy letter) different from "I'll pay you if you remove the negative info"? They're both, essentially, a form of blackmail.

You (board generic you there) have lates and overdues and collections, and they're accurate, yet you want them to remove that information in exchange for being paid, and that's somehow better than threatening to sue them if they don't remove the info?

I just can't wrap my head around how some people here seem to think the one is ok and the other isn't.

Can anyone who thinks this way perhaps point out what I missed that makes it ok the one way but not the other?

Sure. One is an offer of payment for action that may be simply denied or accepted, neither at cost to the respondent. The other is a fraudulent threat which demands one of two responses, both at cost to the respondent: either acquiescence or a significant financial and time commitments to a legal defense if action is taken.

More simply put: One is conversation that that might provoke a child to react with "that's too bad they won't do what you want." The other is a legal proceeding to which a child might reasonably react by asking "isn't that lying, Daddy?"

I'd be interested to hear any explanations that might convince the child that the "fraudulent lawsuit credit repair strategy" is not lying. I'd also be interested to know how those seeing no problem with if have convinced yourselves. I suspect the "it's OK to lie when the repercussions to me are X, Y, and Z" will be the most popular argument.

When I see the explanation that will convince that child, I'll reconsider my ethics.

The fact that an action is legal, or that it is not worth defending a lawsuit over, does not impart any moral authority to that action. It just means it's legal and not worth fighting over. There is much that can all get away with. I'm glad most of us don't choose that path.

Good luck,

Bruce
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (86) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement