Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: How is everyone? Date: 9/12/2001 6:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
It's rather eerie that the last message on this board was posted at 9:02AM yesterday - just as the first image of a burning tower came over the TV and witnesses were trying to describe a plane having hit it. As I watched smoke rolling out of that building and tried to comprehend the terror occuring inside, the incomprehensible happened -- another plane dove into the second tower -- leaving no question that this was a deliberate attack.

As the news that a plane from Boston had been hijacked and presumed to have been used in this horrific act of terror, everything went numb for me. My husband had left home three hours earlier to drive down to Boston for an early flight on American Airlines. I didn't know the flight number, but that rarely matters since he has a habit of changing flights at the last minute if there's one leaving earlier once he arrives at an airport. I frantically called his office to see if anyone knew which flight he'd been booked on. They put me on hold to check and my call-waiting beeped. I nearly ignored it, but something made me pick up and my heart soared as I heard my husband's voice. He was sitting on the runway, his takeoff delayed, and overheard a guy on a cellphone talking about a plane crash. "What's up?" he wanted to know. It was impossible to describe to him what I was seeing on TV. All I could say was I hoped they weren't planning to take off and that he should get off that plane as soon as possible and come home. Easier said than done, but eventually the passengers were released into Logan's terminal.

Amazingly, as he approached the security gate exit area, the guard said, "sir, if you leave this area you will not be allowed back in". He didn't want to go back, he just wanted to come home.

So many, many people did not come home yesterday. A former neighbor was among them. "A Day of Infamy", my father used to intone in a solemn voice when I was a small child. Yesterday was our day of infamy. We have all been touched by this, but my heart goes out to those thousands who've been shattered by personal loss.

Hoping deeply that does not include any of you.

Jeanie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement